Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A Collection of Coins Found on Outer Banks Beaches Over the Course of 70 Years

The collection would be interesting to see.

"The collection includes coins from China, Ecuador, England, France, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Italy, Mexico, Spain, and the United States. Even long-gone civilizations like the Byzantine Empire are represented in the historically significant treasure trove...Experts believe that the vast array of coins is likely tied to the number of shipwrecks off the state's coast."

https://www.southernliving.com/news/outer-banks-rare-coin-collection-graveyard-of-the-atlantic-museum

Comments

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭

And to think - all of this and I was distracted by other things. Oh well...

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was this couple just walking the surf or detecting or both? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2021 7:52AM

Here is a picture of some of the coins, some quite modern:

Southern Living Outer Banks Collection story

Two of the coins appear to be Columbian Exposition 1892-1893 commemorative half dollars.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is super cool!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a corroded Roosevelt dime in a parking lot last Thursday. Do you think I should start a museum to display it? :)

All glory is fleeting.
  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I found a corroded Roosevelt dime in a parking lot last Thursday. Do you think I should start a museum to display it? :)

No, just post it in the US Coin section and ask if it's an error >:)

Member of the ANA since 1982