Home Sports Talk

Michigan extends Jim Harbaugh

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michigan has extended Jim Harbaugh. He will be the head coach of the Michigan Wolverines through 2025, and he will have a base salary of $4.1 million. Was this a good move?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30675288/michigan-coach-jim-harbaugh-reach-contract-extension?platform=amp

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was actually hoping he'd be back in the NFL. IMO, he's a fun coach.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Michigan alum I have mixed feelings

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best news I've heard in a while. :D

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought he would be back in the NFL. He is hilarious with his quirky way of flipping out lol

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I thought he would be back in the NFL. He is hilarious with his quirky way of flipping out lol

Yes, I love a good Jim Harbaugh flip out.

edited January 8, 2021 7:24PM

Some of Jim's greatest hits.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Michigan fan, I hate this. His teams are poorly coached and he doesn't develop offensive talent. The quarterback play during his tenure, outside of brief highlights has been underwhelming to say the least. The defense has been a joke with a junior high scheme and even worse technique. Thankfully, the DC has been fired.

I've been calling for Harbaugh to be fired for over 3 years so, yeah, don't like this. But he's shown enough in the past that he could theoretically turn things around. I ain't counting on it though.

Holding!

edited January 9, 2021 3:09AM

Oh come on!

And those Wal-Mart khakis. Freakin legendary.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Michigan alum I have mixed feelings

as an Ohio State fan there's no "mixed feelings" from me, I hope he stays for the long haul. to be honest, why that school keeps him I'll never know. he has proven that he isn't a very good recruiter of top talent and he has digressed to the point where his Teams can't even beat the middle of the road Big 10 Teams, let alone anyone elite in the NCAA.

think about it, it's one thing to be overtaken in your Conference by Northwestern, they seem to have competitive Teams many years, but Michigan was overtaken by Maryland and Rutgers this year!!! add to that his sterling 1-4 Bowl record and if I were an Alumnus of that proud school I'd be asking for his head in a basket.

where Ohio State and Michigan used to be at the top of the heap, look what's up now: Michigan is at the bottom of the pile trying to overtake Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Northwestern. it is gonna be a hard climb.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2021 12:10PM

I think sometimes as an alum you look at things a bit differently. The fan in me wanted him out for sure. The alum in me not as much.

I've never put too much stock in getting too wound up on 18-21 year old kids playing sports. Sure I want them to win. Sure some losses hurt more then others. But it's really not that big of deal at the end of the day. Its especially not that big of deal in a season shortened pandemic year. Ive been to over 200 Michigan games over 51 years. This year none :(

Al, for the record Michigan beat Rutgers and Rutgers didn't finish ahead of them not that it's an accomplishment. Rutgers actually played 9 games. Michigan at 2-4 and Rutgers at 3-6 isn't much to look at. Maryland only played 5 games. I know Maryland had games against Michigan and Ohio State canceled.

I actually think this year made me reflect on the fact that sports in general have a lower priority now for me. I'll still watch and root hard on all games of interest but when the game is over. It's over. They are just games but I still reserve the right to still bust balls if some of you heathens get out of hand.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have probably been one of Harbaugh's biggest advocates here on the forum. Renewing the contract was the right thing to do... just not at 4.1M and not through 2025. I would not have fired Lovie Smith this year either...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my sense of it is that he may not last the length of the contract and will probably make Michigan fans weep.

JMHO, of course, he may rebound and make me eat my words.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Four and five star recruits don't want to play for a coach who may be fired at any time. So coach gets an extension. If the program does not improve he still may be let go in the middle of his contract.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I appreciate the revenue the UM football program generates, it still seems buying out contracts as part of firing a head coach is a waste of resources.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.