Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Albert Grinnell actual auction catalog’s

There is a hard bound book that was printed that a lot of people think is the catalog for the auction. It really is not.
I have the complete set including the prices realized sheet which could be purchased for an additional 10c a few days after the auction. I’m cleaning out my house. We are selling and downsizing. I have hundreds of things I need to deal with. The things I really consider important I want to find homes for. This is the actual set which were printed in limited quantities and are very rare. I don’t know what they are worth. I can’t find any to compare and figure a price.
Can anyone help me out?
If you have an interest please let me know as well.
I’ve had them for 30 years. They are in remarkable shape.
I have also included an image of the hardcover book that will go with these but it is not the catalog. Only 1000 were printed. You will see what number mine is. With this group I will include a couple of Donlon Catalog’s with the group.
What’s fair?

f

Do

Comments

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat and important item. The reprint can be had for about $50 but I don't know what an original set is worth. Not for me but I'm sure that you'll get plenty of feedback including comparable sales.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • outtacashouttacash Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

Hi - my buddy paid 86 for the catalogs (missing 1 i think) about 2 years ago from someone. Not sure if you'd take $140 for everything you have, but email me if so: mxc1971@yahoo.com

Thanks - Greg

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting lot. Try contacting some of the numismatic literature dealers to see if there is any interest. I have no idea as to demand or value.

Grinnell was the music instrument store king of Detroit in the first half of the 20th century (at least that is what I was told).

All glory is fleeting.
  • Endeavor1967Endeavor1967 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2021 9:05PM

After digging into this a little deeper my feeling is that it’s a $450 group. Being complete and in good condition this is what I have come up with. So over to the BST. Thanks for everyone’s input.

@outtacash said:
    Hi - my buddy paid 86 for the catalogs (missing 1 i think) about 2 years ago from someone. Not sure if you'd take $140 for everything you have, but email me if so: mxc1971@yahoo.com

Thanks - Greg

I appreciate the offer but your buddy got lucky. See if your buddy can take some pictures and let you post them. I know you like to try to break my balls greg. No reason for it anymore. Let’s all be big boys.

• bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

There is actually an 8th catalogue to the Grinnell sale. It was on March 8, 1947 with a blue cover not the green one. It was labeled “Important Public Auction of Large Size U.S. Paper Currency Property of Albert A. Grinnell, Detroit, Mich” catalogued by Barney Bluestone. It is slightly smaller than the seven green ones.

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is actually an 8th catalogue to the Grinnell sale. It was on March 8, 1947 with a blue cover not the green one.

From my library:

I also have the original mailing envelope for this catalog. It cost all of 4-1/2 cents to mail it back then.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 8th auction was a clean up auction for the notes that did not sell in the first seven sales.

Very cool yo see that I came across that while researching for a fair price.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grinnell is entombed in an elaborate family mausoleum in Woodlawn Cemetery located just south of 8 Mile Road on Woodward Avenue in Detroit. All glory and collections are fleeting.

All glory is fleeting.