Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Delete

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 23, 2021 9:09PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options

I will try to only buy coins with a numerical grade the 1793 was a test coin the 1st I purchased just wanted to see if I liked them or not.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group!

I somehow ended-up with 3 portrait 1/2 Reales over the last 6 months. Maybe I'm subconsciously thinking about branching off from 8 Reales :o

• Options
    edited January 8, 2021 1:10PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Nice group!

I somehow ended-up with 3 portrait 1/2 Reales over the last 6 months. Maybe I'm subconsciously thinking about branching off from 8 Reales :o

Nah I will stick with both 1/2 reales from 1732-1821 and 8 reales 1732-1824 and then very scarce or rarer coins after 1824. Will also buy some cobs for both series. The 8 Reales are for sure nicer I just enjoy having 2 series to collect since not much shows up for sale in either set.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2021 1:29PM

TwoKopeiki: I started a new topic where you can post your 1/2 reales from Mexico. I would like to see them and I sure others would as well.

• Options

New pick up.

• Options
    edited January 26, 2021 1:08PM

Hopefully it has no damage in the area I circled in red I don't know yet till I will have it in hand. Some times it's just a bad picture.

• Options

I thought about quitting 1/2 Reales but I actually enjoy them with the 8 Reales.

• Options

I am guessing it is the image since the coin is made of 0.931 silver?

• Options

It looks like it could be a bit of verdigris.

• Options
    edited January 26, 2021 1:40PM

What is verdigris? And will it get worse over time in the NGC holder? Is there any way to get that cleaned without damaging the coin?

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    What is verdigris? And will it get worse over time in the NGC holder? Is there any way to get that cleaned without damaging the coin?

It's copper oxidation. Since the metal alloy is silver and copper, it's not unusual to see some green especially on older hammered coins that people are not so quick to conserve. Unlike PVC contamination verdigris is pretty stable and should not spread.

• Options

Thanks if ever it gets worse I will clean it.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the coin is holed that area is trivial!

Hopefully it has no damage in the area I circled in red I don't know yet till I will have it in hand. Some times it's just a bad picture.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2021 11:01AM

@amwldcoin said:

Some have holes and some do not that is the way they carried them back then on ropes or necklaces. It's a series that was presented to the Viceroy or the King and higher ups in the Church for their approval. They did not make many of these coins. The 1/2 reales are only 1715, 1719, 1720, 1721, 1722, 1724 1726, 1727 and 1730 then comes the true round 1/2 reales from 1732 and onward. That is why this series is called Royal coinage. They are all very rare to extremely rare. I believe the 1724 to be the rarest.

Price guide states: Struck on specialty prepared round planchets using well centered dies in excellent condition to prove the quality of the minting to the Viceroy or even the King. But I have another book that says also to the higher ups in the Vatican.

This not some regular coin that has a hole in it. It served a purpose. I would never buy a coin with a hole if that was not normal for the series.

Just for example Heritage Auctions has not sold many of these of any date over the last few decades.

• Options

Look at the description on Heritage for this one like I said most are holed.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/mexico/world-coins/mexico-felipe-v-royal-1-2-real-1719mo-j-/a/3020-27576.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Felipe V Royal 1/2 Real 1719Mo-J, KM-R24, good VF holed. Royal issues are well-centered strikes on specially prepared planchets for Viceroy or royal approval of mint quality, Krause notes "Normally found holed." Detailed and desirable.

• Options

Picked this one up as well.

• Options
    edited February 2, 2021 3:03PM

@amwldcoin said:

I received the coin today even under light and with a magnifying glass I cannot make out what that area is looks like extra metal/silver but not 100% certain. I am not going to bother with it it is way to small and if it does get worse will send it to PCGS for restoration and slabbing. The surface of those small spots look soft and flat.

• Options
    edited February 10, 2021 7:26PM

Picked this rare variety up. Only 4 graded total by NGC I am sure there are some raw ones out there. Will have to do till I can upgrade.

• Options

2021 will a full focus on my 1/2 Reales collection and 2022 my 8 Reales. Then mixed between the 2.