Home Sports Talk

Greatest catch in NFL playoff or Super Bowl history.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lynn Swann vs Dallas in Super Bowl.
Dwight Clark - “the catch”
The immaculate reception.
Giants vs New England in Super Bowl.

Which ones am I missing and which one should win the award ?

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edelmans catch in the Atlanta Super Bowl was insane

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 10:18AM

I’ve never been a fan of the Steelers or Santonio Holmes but this one definitely deserves to be on this list.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HRisAHgJ6-Q

edit: damn link,gotta go to YouTube to watch it.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Edelmans catch in the Atlanta Super Bowl was insane

For me, this is the answer. Edelman was mic'd up. During the review he was, with 100% calm confidence, telling everyone that he caught it. Great stuff if you're a Pats fan.

https://youtu.be/4SiUNdkIwzQ

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Packers Max McGee made a one handed catch in the first Super Bowl ever.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 7:42PM

While there have been greater catches (physically) in the postseason, I still have to vote for Dwight Clark's reception against the Cowboys in the '81 NFC title game. The intensity and drama of that moment resonates with me the most. It was "do or die." Of course, I grew up in the 70s and 80s and actually watched that game on television so am probably biased. :) It remains the grandest and most memorable moment in terms of a pass reception during the postseason for me.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edelman's catch is probably #1 but The Catch 2 from TO is pretty awesome as well because, unlike the others listed so far, he got belted - twice - after catching it.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

I think the story goes is he was out partying all night before the game too.

• AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I think the story goes is he was out partying all night before the game too.

That was confirmed by Bart Starr - at least that he was out till about 6-7am in the morning of the game.
    As for the catch, Max said that he saw the pass going behind him, and was afraid it would be intercepted. So he actually stuck his hand out to try to knock the ball down to prevent an interception, but the ball just stuck in his hand so he reeled it in and took off.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Lynn Swann vs Dallas in Super Bowl.

Which one? There were several.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2021 10:53PM

If you're a Pats fan it's Edelman's catch and you would be correct it was that great.

If you are a lot of folks it's David Tyree's catch against the Pats and you would also be correct. It was that unbelievable. I still can't watch a relay. It wrecked me

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Stefon Diggs

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The John Mackey 75 yd. reception in 2nd quarter of the 1971 Super Bowl is worthy of mention... That was one unusual and significant play in Baltimore's 16-13 upset of Dallas.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.