Home Sports Talk

The Buffalo Bills and Josh Allen for DD

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

2018 The Bills trade up to # 7 to draft Josh Allen. This was Brandon Beanes guy. His reason was he had a huge arm to throw threw the swirling winds at Wilson Stadium. Big hands, 6’5” 240 and played in the snow and high altitude in Wyoming. Knock on Allen accuracy. 50% completions in a down field offense. Wing it and fling it. No check downs. We saw moments of a good QB
His receivers? #1 Zay Jones and after thought in LV. Kelvin hands of stone Benjamin and Charley Cay. Ugh. 50% completions.
2019 The Bills pick up John Brown and Cole Beasley in free agency and draft Devin Singletary. 10-6 and an ugly playoff lose. Allen looked like a deer in the headlights trying to do way to much. 59% completions
2020 A small sentence about a trade for Stefon Diggs over shadowed the same day by the Arizona trade for Hopkins.
McDermitt built a defense first to keep the Bills in games. He came 4 years ago with Beane. Do you know how many players are there from 4 years ago? 1. DE Jerry Hughes.
Josh Allen in his first 2 years played every play like it was the last play in the Super Bowl. This year he’s learned it’s ok to throw the ball away. It’s ok to punt. He’s got 21 other players. Geez he’s 24 years old. He wonderlic score was 37. The game now comes to him. His reads are better. The game is slower. 70% completions. Diggs the afterthought trade 127 receptions 1500 yards with zero preseason or training camp.
My credit goes to Brandon Beane and McDermitt. They dumped the dead money. The malcontents and brought in guys that bought in. Is this the most talented team in the playoffs? Maybe not but damn they sure are having fun! When the Bills win the Super Bowl every team will look at this script and copy it.
1. Dump the huge salaries
Build a defense to keep you in games
Find your franchise QB.
Build and offense around his strengths
Find a fun and innovative OC.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 10:27AM

2dueces, by any chance are you a Bills fan? I get the impression that you are. 😁 I'm pulling for the Bills to make it to the SB just because I don't want you to lose your sanity during the off season. By the way, what are your thoughts on the Rams vs Bills game early this season? If I remember correctly the Bills were up 28-3 midway through the 3rd quarter and then the Rams went into overdrive and took the lead only to lose on a bogus pass interference play at the goal line that gave the Bills an extra play after time had run out. My impression at that time was that the Bills were overrated. Anyway, that Allen kid is pretty good and I want to see him beat KC. GO BILLS!!!

P.S. When the Rams and Bills play in the SB this year, the Rams will win because the Rams are the better team. By far. 😇

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 10:57AM

That part about finding a QB who can and has thrown in the specific conditions your team plays in is huge. Very smart an right on point. We know my team is the Patriots. Brady had already done it in college and he perfected it in the pros. Not everyone is a Phil Simms fan, but I have heard and read the same thing about him- that he knew how to get the ball through that wind.

Edit to add: Here in Cowboys country it was very obvious that Beasley was a great player. Dallas wasn't using him exactly right and didn't want to pay him. I wanted him on the Patriots but knew it wouldn't happen. Same with Diggs. Great, great signings.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the Bills win the Super Bowl every team will look at this script and copy it.

this isn't a new concept and the Bills are the ones who copied it, maybe not verbatim but certainly in concept. it simply has worked out for them quicker and more emphatically then it has with other Teams. I am happy for the Bills but don't think they've re-invented the wheel.

probably helping them as much as anything else is where they play, their AFC East Division with the Jets, Dolphins and Patriots. prior to this season that was a Division with one major roadblock and two other creampuffs, that converts to what should've been a 4-2 record out of the gate with the rest of the 10 game season on the Bills. failure to repeatedly at least be respectable and maybe a Wild Card should embarrass you, and that is the main thing the Bills have worked on.

not surprisingly, with the departure of Tom Brady the script has flipped and the Bills are the new Patriots. in fine form they went 6-0 in the East.

my Team, suffers a much worse fate, the Browns have been saddled with desperate ownership who made poor management choices who in turn made poor player and scheme choices. even in the best of times in the North it's the Steelers and Ravens twice each every year. woe is me!!! call me crazy, but the way things are shaping up I will make a prediction --- if Joe Burrow recovers to his pre-injury self, if the Pittsburgh Steelers revert to their old self with an RB and someone besides Mason Rudolph to follow Rothliesberger while the Ravens and Browns maintain the status quo, not many Teams will want to take a journey through the AFC North Division.

the Bills are fortunate and I hope and you should hope that they take advantage of their weak Division. I think they'll have 2-3-4 seasons before the rest of those Teams can catch up. Bellichick will find his QB and surround him with skill, the Dolphins will get a Tua replacement and some help, the Jets will get a Coach and use their Draft Picks.

while that's happening the Bills will stay around 12-4 or 11-5 while they challenge for SB after SB. it'll be fun and unless my Cleveland Browns are in it I'll be on your side.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets Your Browns and my Bills were in the same boat for the last 20 years. First off the cities are not attractive for free agents. Cold, snow and state tax. The both had a revolving door of head coaches. Both were always searching for their franchise QBS. Both had big brothers in their division kicking the crap out of them year after year.
    So what’s changed for the Browns and Bills? The Bills got a head coach and GM on the same page. I don’t know much about the Browns GM but I like the coach. I think he’ll be a good one.
    Both landed big time free agents, OBJ and Diggs.
    The Bills landed their franchise QB and they’ll pay him immediately. I’m not so sure about Mayfield. Is he a guy you can put the game on his shoulders when nothing else works or is he a game manager. Do you pay him $40M a year?
    That’s the question for the Browns. They have a lot of pieces in place but without “the dude!” they are Chicago.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baker Mayfield is indeed the "Dude" and what he needs is some Defensive Backs. they scored 408 points while they gave up 419 and still finished 11-5!! that's pretty remarkable. no QB should need to lay down 26 points every week just to be tied, but that's the sort of position the Browns pass defense has put him in.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Little known fact: Josh Allen was recruited in college by the same coach that recruited Carson Wentz.

He also spent time in the off season working on his mechanics and delivery with a QB guru after he talked to Tony Romo at the Super Bowl last year. The guru is Carson Palmers brother. That’s dedication to get better. Have we seen the improvement? It’s all in his front foot pointing towards the target and getting his hips around. Did I mention 69% completion this year.

W.C.Fields
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

can't remember who it was against (it happened recently), but the Bills were in the red zone and Allen was flushed out of the pocket and moving at a brisk pace toward the sideline. he threw a nut-high dart across his body for a touchdown to a WR who was streaking across the back of the end zone, and that's the only place the ball could've been put for a completion

very impressive play & throw

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am hoping the Bills win the SB. Like my Vikes they are 0 for the big game and I enjoy seeing new teams win it.

Don't fall in love with Diggs. He is a strange dude. I heard he dropped to round 5 in the draft because teams were afraid of his weirdness.

I thought he was treated well here, but for some reason he wanted out. Hopefully, he will "grow up" a bit and be a great receiver for the Bills for many years.

Hope you win it all before you have to give Allen big money. Good QB's cost a LOT!!!!

Trade worked out for Vikings with the drafting of Jefferson who makes a LOT less money.

GO BILLS!!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Josh Allen's rookie card prices are officially out of control! :#

I was watching a National Treasures RPA /99 which is the top of the line, premiere, one to have etc.
    and it just sold for 12k. And its a PSA 9, not a 10.
    The collecting community has caught on to how good he is, but he still hasn't won anything yet.
    Having said that, I have been picking up some of his rookie cards so I will be well positioned if the Bill win it all.
    If not, he's still a good player to collect for the longer term payoff.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited January 7, 2021 7:14AM

@Darin said:

I was watching a National Treasures RPA /99 which is the top of the line, premiere, one to have etc.
    The collecting community has caught on to how good he is, but he still hasn't won anything yet.
    Having said that, I have been picking up some of his rookie cards so I will be well positioned if the Bill win it all.

Crazy huh? I purchased a card in May. But mine is a National Treasures RPA Gold 10/10 PSA 9. Purchase price? $195.00

W.C.Fields
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the Bills gettin down to MC Hammer!

I give up. What's DD stand for?

edited January 7, 2021 1:01PM

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

Crazy huh? I purchased a card in May. But mine is a National Treasures RPA Gold 10/10 PSA 9. Purchase price? $195.00

I do, I sincerely do hope the Bills make it to the SB. Because you really want that to happen. Me too but for different reasons. I want them in the SB on the long shot that the Rams are their opponent. I want a rematch of the game earlier this year when the Rams ripped the Bills to shreds only to be ripped to shreds themselves by bad officiating. That was the only game I can ever remember that made me upset.😵 Either way.......you are turning me into a Bills fan. You should apply for a job in the Bills public relations office! By the way......collecting football cards is for kids. Go Bills........and Rams too!
    🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

DD= @doubledragon He asked me to start a thread about the progress of Josh Allen and why I like this kid so much.
    ^^^^^^ See video above. Does that look like Diggs is worried about playing Saturday? I think not. We’ll miss Beasley but with John Brown back and McKenzie stepping up the Bills will be just fine.

W.C.Fields

@Hydrant Yeah that was tough call in the Rams game. What you fail to mention is how Josh Allen ripped the Rams apart in the first half to build a 28-3 lead. That game taught the Bills to never take their foot off the gas. Hence the 38 points against New England and the 56 against Miami. Hail Murray never again.

W.C.Fields
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

Nice pickup 2deuces! If you sold now before he even wins a Super Bowl your gains
    would be astronomical. If the Bills win the Super Bowl this year the sky's the limit!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

W.C.Fields

Duecy, you're a fanatic and all the lame excuses you come up to cover for your beloved Bills don't amount to a hill of beans. The reason the Bills looked somewhat o.k. in the first 3 1/2 quarters of that game is because the Rams were tired from the long airline flight. Also they didn't take the Bills seriously. Who would? O. K., I know the Rams made the same mistake against the Jets awhile back when they got clobbered but maybe it just has something to do with teams from New York. And the AFC. Nobody in the NFC takes the AFC seriously. They haven't since that Joe Broadway guy was playing for the Jets in the SB against the Colts who were a great team until they switched to the AFC. O.K., maybe forget that one but just remember who that Joe what's his name ended up with at the end of his career. The Rams. And he stunk the joint out in L.A. too!.......But back to the game in question. After the Rams figured out that the Bills weren't COMPLETELY hopeless they went to work. Admit it, you watched the game and you were in awe over the ease with which Aaron Donald (quadruple teamed by the way) tossed those hapless Bills around like so many rag dolls. It was a beautiful sight. AND.......how many nanoseconds did it take Wonderboy Goff with his golden arm to march the Lambs, er..Rams downfield for 4 or 5 (I forget how many because it happened so fast) UNANSWERED touchdowns? Remember that part? I do. By that stage of the game the Rams were winning 31-28 (I think) and had totally recovered from lack of sleep and were out for some serious butt kicking. Only there was one problem that stopped them..............THE GAME CLOCK RAN OUT! The game was over! But not really because that's when the the Rams got, shall we say, BUFFALOED by zebras who stuck by their fellow 4-legged creature buddies and gifted the Bills an EXTRA play! Remember that part? I'll never forget it. My nostrils are still damaged from the Bud Lite that blew out my nose like twin Old Faithfuls! The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant was mortified with embarrassment over the whole thing because she invited the nice young preacher man and his wife over to watch the game. He's a Saints fan by the way. Anyway I had to paint the entire living room because Bud Lite makes a real mess and is virtually impossible to scrub off a wall. So.........that's more or less how I remember it. Sort of......... Rams and Bills. Super Bowl. I can't wait. I want REVENGE!

But my question is where are those Rams that played the 2nd half of the Bills game? Did the go into the witness protection program the last 2 1/2 months? Did they get lost on their flight home and get stranded in Malay? I’ve watched the pretenders since then and I’ve never seen that team since. Well maybe I did, on a milk carton in Wegmans.

W.C.Fields
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2021 9:33AM

Thank you guys. It's a whole new world and kind of hard without my Patriots in it this year, but your trash talkin' is really helping! I'm ready for some playoff football!!

Edit to add: For context, I've been married twenty years and have three kids. Other than that year when Brady was hurt, the last time the Patriots weren't in the playoffs I was single and living in a loft in Brooklyn with two of my buddies.

Second edit: Actually, I was just getting married, but the point holds......it's been a long time. I definitely remember the NFL before the dynasty. I grew up and spent my early twenties rooting for a usually hapless Patriots team. It feels like a blessing to be able to look back, remember the SB losses in the 80s and 90s, then remember the double dynasty, and now to just enjoy NFL football again.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

i just love the fact that hydrant was drinking cerveza with a man of the cloth