Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Annual UK BU coin sets

I started picking these up a few years ago simply because I liked the designs of the various coins. They’re relatively inexpensive and some are a bit scarce. I’m just curious if anyone on the forum is a fan. The Royal Mint sells plenty so I know someone is buying - is it mostly people from the UK or is there US and world demand. Thx

Best Answer

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2021 8:24PM Answer ✓

@Orlena said:
    Thanks for the tip on the great engravers series. Do they provide any advance notice like the US mint or do you just have to keep checking?

go here to register your interest

https://www.royalmint.com/register-interest/greatengravers/

you should then get an email the day before the next one in the series is released

you'll want to be up at 0900 GMT because after una and the lion, they will be selling out lightning fast

this has been a series that they have been keeping extremely tight-lipped about with absolutely nothing shared ahead of time, save the announcement the day before

royal mint also seems to be trying to focus efforts on promoting their social media as well, and twitter might be your best bet for advanced notice [just got to their page and tap the 🔔 to be notified every time they tweet w a push notification]

good luck!

Answers

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mainly UK buyers with very little (in general) secondary market. Few here in the USA care for them, even collectors like me....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of us even have too many multiples of £SD and decimal sets we would love to unload - but like a plague they stay.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

So you’re telling me I shouldn’t count on UK proof sets to fund my retirement?😁. I started buying a few things when the Captain Cook coins first came out and then Wallace and Grommet and then drifted into Brexit coins and proof sets. They all seem to have unique designs and are fun to look at. I doubt if I have $500 bucks invested so far. Couple of sovereigns also but they seem to be easy to move if desired. Thanks for the input

Yes. But enjoy your coins. I bought a copper nickel 2009 Darwin and kept it in OGP and even bag. Why? Because I am a biologist!

I'm a fan of uk issues, though not necessarily the bu sets - have picked up a few brittania proof sets over the years

working on completing the queens beasts series - nice that the end is on the horizon w that; really beautiful series imo

started picking up a bunch of piedforts over the past few years - like their weight and lower mintages

and the molasses-slow-to-release great engravers series is def one to keep eyes out for - really incredible reissues over the coming years w that

that all being said, I did just pick up 10 of the bu Stephen hawking 50p, as I missed those silver releases amd I think thats a really cool coin and person to commemorate - will give out to science friends in future

also picked up the 50 years of 50p bu set - mitary [2019] solely for the hastings issue - what. a. coin.

Thanks for the tip on the great engravers series. Do they provide any advance notice like the US mint or do you just have to keep checking?

I think you have to be checking as by the time the RM notifies you it is too late.
    Britannia proofs are probably on a different level than are the BU sets, same for the Queen's Beasts - proof or "regular" uncirculated silver versions (ie not the copper nickel unc. that come in cardboard packs).

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

I found this 2015 set to be quite intriguing, so I got one.......... Thought it was a clever idea putting portions of the Shield of Arms on each denomination coin, so that once fit together they completed the shield. Others' thoughts?

@DBSTrader2 said:
    I found this 2015 set to be quite intriguing, so I got one.......... Thought it was a clever idea putting portions of the Shield of Arms on each denomination coin, so that once fit together they completed the shield. Others' thoughts?

some of the best circulating coins out in the world, for sure

Thanks for the tip. I got up for the Brexit coins, bought some and went back to bed - they were sold out by the time I got up in the morning

ah, those are so nice - I picked up a couple too

I honestly can't wait for the rest of the great engravers series; one of the most exciting modern mint offerings out there imo

@Orlena said:

the next in series is announced!! - wyon's 'three graces' crown [image from met site of orig; they have not released renderings of the new coin]

make sure your signed up for alerts: https://www.royalmint.com/register-interest/greatengravers/

Thanks, I signed up last weekend when you suggested. Good luck to both of us?