Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Does it feel like a lot of rare small size are coming to market?

Recent 1928-A Star notes surfaced and I haven't seen two at the same auction for a long time, let alone any for a long time.
Does it appear to anyone else that a lot of rare small size notes are coming to market ?

https://currency.ha.com/itm/small-size/legal-tender-notes/fr-1502-2-1928a-legal-tender-note-pcgs-very-fine-25/a/3572-22557.s?

https://currency.ha.com/itm/small-size/legal-tender-notes/fr-1502-2-1928a-legal-tender-note-pmg-very-fine-25/a/3572-22558.s?

Comments

• mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

I think you're right, unusual amount of rarer or less common small size are surfacing. I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with the PCGS/Legacy drama and or instability? Does seem as though there are a number of high end collectors or dealers that are voicing instability and uncertainty with that label.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Nah, I think people are just getting old. Look at the Jeff Jones collection trying to liquidate many items for the past few years, many lots going unsold yet very high quality items. It may be a natural shrinking of the hobby

I just counted Six $1 USN Star Notes in separate auctions on Ebay

Lyn Knight has several low SN $1 USN Red seals for auction
    http://www.lynknight.com/items/1126087?search[catalog_session_id]=1501

• SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Besides the Jones collection, there are two other "old-timer" collections being liquidated. Neither is being sold through auction. The rarest notes from these collections are selling, and at record highs.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

The Jones collection has had some resistance, great stuff, just that many went unsold last year on HA

• MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭

@SmallSizedGuy said:
    Besides the Jones collection, there are two other "old-timer" collections being liquidated. Neither is being sold through auction. The rarest notes from these collections are selling, and at record highs.

Jim, Can you give us a couple of examples of what rarest notes being sold at record prices?

@MR168 said:

@SmallSizedGuy said:

Jim, Can you give us a couple of examples of what rarest notes are being sold at record prices?

• SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

$5 FRN Series 1928 HA PMG-66 EPQ - somewhere between $10K and $15K.
    $5 FRN Series 1928-A KA in PMG-65 EPQ - over $26,500.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

Wow! Trophy notes. Thank you so much.

• KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

@synchr said:
    Nah, I think people are just getting old. Look at the Jeff Jones collection trying to liquidate many items for the past few years, many lots going unsold yet very high quality items. It may be a natural shrinking of the hobby

I agree

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 6:38PM

@SmallSizedGuy said:
    $5 FRN Series 1928 HA PMG-66 EPQ - somewhere between $10K and $15K.
    $5 FRN Series 1928-A KA in PMG-65 EPQ - over $26,500.

Very rare notes as of now, but if a pack or two were to show up, that would be a huge loss.

This is why I have downsized to early stars only, there is zero risk of a whole pack surfacing. Back in the day, stars were hand inserted on an as needed basis.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@synchr said:

Maybe a combination of factors, this being a big one. Advanced collectors not being replaced as fast by newer collectors.

Top rarities are also appearing for sale in numismatics.

How big a role do the current events play? Any at all?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

I sure the current events play some role, as most collections are purchased with disposable income.

Also, some notes locked up in long term collections are coming to market either from estates, older people selling off, or new finds that were hid away years ago.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is always some supply turnover driven by demographics. And disposable income affects the market in different ways. Stimulus checks cause a flurry in lower priced material, some are doing fine now financially while others are really hurting. I think that there has been greater disparity this year among Americans' financial outlooks than in previous years.

Yet I'm not seeing that much reaction from collectors as might be expected. Collectors seem to keep their heads down and keep collecting.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.