Home Q & A Forum

Oldschool experience?

Snotting"" Eagle? Looking for a safe way to test / determine if PMD or faking craftsmanship or even a nice place for die gouging. Tried usual receipt paper n pencil did not leave a void or much to see if even raised. Almost like (Kansas" quarter IN GOD WE RUST the T on Trust can be seen or not in certain angles n light. It will do the same way. Thanks for the help in advance!

Answers

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post Mint Damage ( PMD )

Looks like there may be some pushed up metal in this area.

• Looks" seems" pictures are crap!
    I know, I just asked how to test like melt wax freeze and see if it is raised or indented? But something that won't hurt or damage coin. Pencil trick left no void on paper but just a sight raised surface no real indication of either so looking for other ways to test?? Anyone anyone? Ferris Bueller?

Don't mean to sound rude or condescending, I am trying to help you. ;)

You don't run "tests" on coins.
    You will never see PCGS melt or freeze wax.
    Your loupe and your eye are the best test.
    If you can't see it you need a better loupe or more practice looking through it.
    It should not be hard to see if there is any metal pushed up above the field.

If you are having a problem using a loupe or don't have one you could take a bunch of photos and see if you can get it to show in one.

• A loupe is a loupe but ya I could take more time just asked an old schooler a question. But yes
    they don't test like that they microscopically look at it if needed! But sure send it in for it to be PMD? I think Your PMD explaining hurts the PCGS from getting more submissions and more rarities from being found!

"I think Your PMD explaining hurts the PCGS from getting more submissions and more rarities from being found!"

You asked for an opinion and you got one. ;)

Sometimes the truth hurts. :*

• @ifthevamzarockin said:
    "I think Your PMD explaining hurts the PCGS from getting more submissions and more rarities from being found!"

You asked for an opinion and you got one. ;)

Sometimes the truth hurts. :*

Then You need to re-read! The question at hand. That's the truth buckaroo! You remind me of the guy in class that shouts out the answer and never really heard the question at hand!

edited January 5, 2021 11:37PM

"You remind me of the guy in class that shouts out the answer and never really heard the question at hand!"

And you remind me of the guy in class that thought he knew the answer to every question and was wrong about 90% of the time. :D

"A loupe is a loupe but ya I could take more time just asked an old schooler a question."

And an "old schooler" gave you an answer. "You don't run "tests" on coins...Your loupe and your eye are the best test."

Because you want to be lazy and don't want to take the time to look at your coin or learn from your coin you are going to have a hard time with numismatics. If you don't want to listen to someone trying to help you, you will have an even harder time.

You seem to have all the answers and are a rude lil' whippersnapper, I will make sure to not try and help you again. ;)

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The feature looks like an indent from a hit with evidence of raised metal on the top. That's characteristic of a hit or gouge. Even if it were raised (which I see no evidence), it would only be a minor die gouge, which would add no extra value.

I only see PMD, no error of any kind

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • @ifthevamzarockin said:
    Post Mint Damage ( PMD )

A) That was the 1st thing you said how does that help anyone?
    B) Lazy? I have eye site problems and obviously You just like to think You are the better of anyone.
    C) i spent 2yrs picking up this coin and looking at it the best that I can when i have time.
    So everyone Have a laugh at we don't know this guy let's pick at him cuz well we have no real life or we wouldn't be assuming!
    I can assume you have erectile dysfunction and are a wife beater alcoholic. But that's just an assumption! So keep being the guru of coinage! Oh when was last time you seen a shower too? Cuz I can smell the crap that You speak!
    May I be band from this place from no life's like You! For fucks sake Heather!! MOD?
    as for the others that are here to learn and share how do you put up with these kinda trolls?

• @Oldhoopster said:
    The feature looks like an indent from a hit with evidence of raised metal on the top. That's characteristic of a hit or gouge. Even if it were raised (which I see no evidence), it would only be a minor die gouge, which would add no extra value.

I only see PMD, no error of any kind

That is probably right a die gouging. Not looking for value just looking to add to my personal collection of My own findings. Eye site is an issue that I have. With coin in your hand after my 2 year of inspection you would probably say the same thing. Thanks for any suggestions but I still need another person to help get me kicked off of here so I don't deal with assuming trolls. So please flag n get me banned thanks!

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

You misunderstood. I did not say it was a die gouge. It is a gouge in the coin that happened AFTER it left the mint. The characteristics, including the shadows in your pics give you all the info you need to easily reach this conclusion.

I can sympathize with your eyesight issues, however I don't understand why you're quickly dismissing the feedback of others. Both @ifthevamzarockin and I pointed out the specific reasons why your coin is PMD. Everybody was trying to help, until you became upset when you couldn't get an "old-school" answer for making a surface impression.

I think you're quickly on your way to acquiring the Red Avatar of Shame given to banned members. Too bad, because you just cut yourself off from a group that has an unbelievable amount knowledge. Members like @ifthevamzarockin take the time and effort to share that with new collectors. Calling him a Troll says a lot about how little you know about this site and the members, and for what it's worth, you should at least offer an apology before the big "POOF" hits.

Member of the ANA since 1982

@PinchingPennies said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Post Mint Damage ( PMD )

A) That was the 1st thing you said how does that help anyone?
    B) Lazy? I have eye site problems and obviously You just like to think You are the better of anyone.
    C) i spent 2yrs picking up this coin and looking at it the best that I can when i have time.
    So everyone Have a laugh at we don't know this guy let's pick at him cuz well we have no real life or we wouldn't be assuming!
    I can assume you have erectile dysfunction and are a wife beater alcoholic. But that's just an assumption! So keep being the guru of coinage! Oh when was last time you seen a shower too? Cuz I can smell the crap that You speak!
    May I be band from this place from no life's like You! For fucks sake Heather!! MOD?
    as for the others that are here to learn and share how do you put up with these kinda trolls?

@HeatherBoyd

@PinchingPennies

My goldfish is smarter than you. :D

This discussion has been closed.