Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Large Bronze Mystery - needs attribution.

I figured SOMEONE in this neck of the woods would be able to attribute this one.

I saw this, had to have it, and picked it up with eBay Bucks. Photos are from the seller. I can post mine when it arrives from Portugal.

The seller has a wide variety of bronzes from all across Europe, but offered little information in the listing. It is HUGE. 80mm in diameter to be exact - my larges bronze to date.

What say you? Anyone seen anything remotely similar? What do I have here?

Zoid

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Would’ve guesses Thailand based on inscription

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Top50SetBuilder said:
    Would’ve guesses Thailand based on inscription

Can you read or translate it? I couldn't make it out.

There is a signature near the top of it, but I can't decipher that either.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• No clue. Just looks like Thai

edited January 5, 2021 2:14PM

I even uploaded a copy of the image to Google Image search.

Google said . . . . . . .

Z

• :D:D:D

That is very familiar "logo", first of all, the pics are upside down, its a portuguese medal of the A.N.A. (Aeroportos e Navegação Aérea - Airports and air navigation ), the legend reads:
    "aeroportos e navegação aérea . ana .e.p."

The signature is of Espiga Pinto (83):
    https://www.numismatas.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4576

You'll find your medal in page 3 (it should have a "base").

Jose

Well, that solves the mystery. Not sure if it is coming with the base or not, but that looks like something I could create in my woodworking shop.

Thanks much! Now to translate that website.

Z

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a piece of the ancient alien spaceship that passed by earth in 2017.

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:
    It is a piece of the ancient alien spaceship that passed by earth in 2017.

Naw, just how I tried to "communicate" with them.

The "mothership" has me on "ignore" too . . . . . . .

Z

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister I acquired a few Portuguese medals last year and I quickly discovered many Portuguese medal or mint sites don't have a translation to English option. Kinda annoying. Gonna have to some cut and paste with Google translate. Good luck. On the other hand the side with the building does resemble an airport departure terminal. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52