Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Why does the 1945 Philly Mercury dime get a weight of 4.......

remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
edited January 2, 2021 5:06PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Why does the 1945 Philly Mercury dime get a weight of 4 in the Basic, & With Major Varieties, full band mercury dime sets? In the short set & late date FB sets, it only gets a weight of 1, and it only gets a weight of 1 in the non full band sets. The 45 Philly dime is dirt common without full bands, & should only get a weight of 1 in a full bands set, unless it is indeed a full bands dime.

A MS68 no bands dime get the same points as a MS63FB dime in the Basic & With Major Varieties full band sets, & that's just not right!

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com

Comments

• MartinMartin Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remumc I have no idea how the Mercs are weighted. But it is a FB set and I’m guessing the 45’s are almost non existent in FB.
    Just a guess

Martin

• remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2021 9:57AM

What I'm saying, is that you can list a non full band 45 Philly in your set, & you still get a weight of 4, or 4 times the grade, in points. A non full band dime should only get a weight of 1.

Is that crickets chirping I hear when I come here?

Regards,

Wayne

That does seem odd. Maybe they should limit the FB sets to only FB coins? How many Bonus points does a FB coin get(2)?
    This place is indeed quiet.

Martin

edited January 4, 2021 7:43PM

A non FB dime, in the FB basic & major varieties registries sets, gets a weight of 4, same as a FB dime, absolutely stupid. The FB dimes get a bonus of 5 points for full bands, & understandable.

Moderators, are you paying attention? Please bring this to the attention of whomever at PCGS can resolve this disparity!

Regards,

Wayne

Where are all my old Mercateer Mercury dime friends & posters?

I was really interested in your comments & thoughts!

Wow, how times have changed! I really thought this would get some action & post.

I'll now let you get back to whatever else you were doing on your original programming, or being programmed as it were.

Regards,

Wayne

I think the mercateers might have all
    Crashed there cars while passing each other. I do remember they were a active bunch. Kind of like the Rosie guys they also have quieted down a bit. Times do change this site used to rock back in the day

Martin

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remumc,
    I dont see much merc posting going on either!
    Yes, I agree with you. It makes no sense to have the 1945 non fb have a weight of 4. Keep the fb a 5 point bonus for it's rarity.
    Another mystery in the complete variety set is the 1919 ddo with a weight of 4. That dime only has iirc 33 known.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

In 1945 they knew the Mercury Dime was coming to an end. So they ran the dies ragged, and Philadelphia was no exception. There were only a very small handful of '45 FB's ever made. Therefore, this is a very rare, and very valuable coin. I am a Mercury Dime collector, but I seriously doubt I'll ever own a '45 FB. I would rather put that money toward a 16-D.

• PwrHseProPwrHsePro Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

It kinda bugs me where a non fb 35 touts 90% or 95% and I even saw a 99% fb...

Isn't either fb or not fb? That is the question!

I mainly collect raw Ancients, PCGS Mercury Dimes, and raw CSA'S... but have misc other sets...Jeffhttps://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/215647https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/8378

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remumc I agree, the Registry points for this should be fixed.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile: