Home Sports Talk

Is Urban Meyer headed to the NFL?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2020 3:30AM in Sports Talk

There are rumors everywhere online that Urban Meyer is going to be coaching in the NFL. Sources are saying that he's been contacted by several teams already and that he's seriously considering it. Do you think this is really going to happen?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/urban-meyer-nfl-rumors-jaguars-lions/mudf8ptbmrmd1muybr6tb3sxj

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the biggest stories circulating online right now. It's in my face every day. I can't resist it any longer. The world must know!

The Jaguars? The Lions? I can't take it anymore!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    The Jaguars? The Lions? I can't take it anymore!

I’d be all over the Jax job if it was an opportunity. Getting the #1 pick and Lawrence, stud RB. Free agent some D and WR’s and work on the OL and you can be competitive in a few years.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

if i were urban i would stay in college. it is what he knows and it sure seems like you are the big dog on campus. plus, you wouldnt have to deal with pro athletes and their egos.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

You know, I've been up all night worrying and thinking about this Urban Meyer thing, and I just wonder how a transition like this would go. In college, Urban was a no-nonsense, strict, hard driving, relentless, coach who was insanely obsessed with winning. He's the kind of coach that DEMANDED the best from his players. I watched him on the sidelines for years on Saturdays, and he really poured his heart and soul into the game. He put everything he had into it. He has a brilliant football mind, and I just wonder if he could succeed in the NFL. I've seen other brilliant college coaches fall flat on their face in the pros, and I just wonder?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saban didnt do too well. some guys are just built for the college game.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i heard he was headed to the Vatican

I don't think it went too well for Steve Spurrier either.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy retired twice, is no spring chicken and has a cushy job and more money than his generations can spend. Unless there’s a fire in his belly I’d say no way.
    Then who’s to say after 18 months he decided nah, retires a 3rd time. Owners need to think long and hard about hiring him.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited December 31, 2020 10:10AM

Not to worry everyone, I am on constant Urban Meyer news watch. The minute any news about this thing hits the media, I'll be all over it like stink on a gorilla. I was up all night worrying over this. I didn't get any sleep, not a wink!

Not a wink!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 10:57AM

Urban can't handle losing. It's a problem for him. A 5-11 NFL season would put him in the grave. Heck even an 11-5 season might do the same

I can remember him flat on his back motionless after the 2016 Michigan-Ohio State 2 OT game. And they won!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    Urban can't handle losing. It's a problem for him. A 5-11 NFL season would put him in the grave. Heck even an 11-5 season might do the same

m

Absolutely true. He's already had health problems from the stress of it, and he can't stand to lose. That's also one of the reasons he was such a great coach, he just absolutely hates losing, and demands that everyone give maximum effort. He's borderline insane. If I were playing college football, I'd want to play for him.

I must admit/confess, Urban Meyer fascinates me. If you study him and listen to him talk about football, he's brilliant.

Now that I think of it that might have been me flat on my back after that 2OT game. He's a great coach but he's a ticking time bomb

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    Now that I think of it that might have been me flat on my back after that 2OT game. He's a great coach but he's a ticking time bomb

m

Yes he is a ticking time bomb, and if I were him, for the sake of my health, I would just stay away from the NFL.

edited December 31, 2020 11:27AM

@doubledragon said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Yes he is a ticking time bomb, and if I were him, for the sake of my health, I would just stay away from the NFL.

I remember how upset he was after Michigan beat Florida in the 2007 Capital One Bowl. The Gators were heavily favored with Tebow/ Pouncey/ Harvins etc. Michigan lost to App State that year. I honesty thought Meyers was going to have a heart attack in the 4th quarter.

FYI a little trivia. Cam Newton was a freshman on that Florida team.

m

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I remember how upset he was after Michigan beat Florida in the 2007 Capital One Bowl. The Gators were heavily favored with Tebow/ Pouncey/ Harvins etc. Michigan lost to App State that year. I honesty thought Meyers was going to have a heart attack in the 4th quarter.

FYI a little trivia. Cam Newton was a freshman on that Florida team.

m

It's too much for him to handle, and it shows on the sidelines. I had forgotten Cam Newton was with Florida before he went on to Auburn. And then of course he came to the Panthers and made my life miserable! But yes, Urban can't handle it anymore, and he has has stress problems on the sidelines before.

edited December 31, 2020 11:59AM

Re: your tag line

DoubleD I was born and raised in Detroit. I don't need to tell you how much Joe Louis meant to us. He is the heart and soul of the city. When I still lived in Michigan everyone who visited wanted to see " The Fist". It never gets old. I was also reminded of Joe every time I took my seats at Red Wing games at The Joe.

@Justacommeman said:
    Re: your tag line

DoubleD I was born and raised in Detroit. I don't need to tell you how much Joe Louis meant to us. He is the heart and soul of the city. When I still lived in Michigan everyone who visited wanted to see " The Fist". It never gets old. I was also reminded of Joe every time I took my seats at Red Wing games at The Joe.

Ah yes, the fist. I love that . It is true, I have become a hardcore Joe Louis addict. He just fascinates me, he was heavyweight champion for over 11 years, from 1937-49, that kind of dominance is just ridiculous. It's funny you should mention him, because in the next few days, I'm gong to be purchasing a rare Joe Louis card that is going to cost over $350.00
    My wife is going to flip out, but I don't care. She just doesn't understand what Joe Louis means to me! 😂😂

Do the right thing and hide it from her.

BTW that 2007 Florida team also had Brandon Spikes, Carlos Dunlap, Joe effing Haden and Aaron Hernandez.

@Justacommeman said:
    Do the right thing and hide it from her.

BTW that 2007 Florida team also had Brandon Spikes, Carlos Dunlap, Joe effing Haden and Aaron Hernandez.

😂😂 I hide all of my purchases from her. Some things she just doesn't need to know about! I had no idea those guys were on that Florida team. That is insane, Aaron Hernandez, it's sad to think about how that ended up.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 4:47PM

My Detroit/thumb roots are happy to see Mark back. Happy New Year!

No way Urban in the NFL does anyone good unless you bet against - college kids not making millions can be manageable, primadonna millionaires can crack your brain with some BS if you're trying to be a leader.

edited December 31, 2020 5:10PM

Yes, and if college kids aren't playing well, you can just slap em' around in the locker room at halftime.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meyer's health issues weren't really stress-related. He had an enlarged congenital arachnoid cyst on his brain. Stress doesn't cause those those cysts to create headaches or the like - but poor eating or lack of sleep from stress can.

I'll be monitoring the Urban Meyer story, and the minute anything happens, I'll be all over it like ugly on Rosie O' Donnell!

Some people are thinking that Urban Meyer is interested in going to the NFL because he likes the thought of rebuilding teams. He likes it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/more/top-stories/urban-meyer-intrigue-nfl-jobs-reason/amp

BREAKING NEWS: The Jacksonville Jaguars are expected to fire head coach Doug Marrone, and they are very interested in Urban Meyer. Apparently, Urban Meyer has been lining up a staff and says he expects to land in Jacksonville.

https://nfltraderumors.co/jaguars-expected-to-fire-doug-marrone-urban-meyer-potential-replacement/

I was just going to post that exact same thing Double D, you beat me to it 💪

@perkdog said:

😂😂😂😂 I've been on a constant, non-stop Urban Meyer watch for days!

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

😂😂😂😂 I've been on a constant, non-stop Urban Meyer watch for days!

Love it 😂😂👏

I was so pissed when Marrone walked away from the Bills. I never understood why but 3-4 years later I’m so glad he did. Did he ever state the reason?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meyer goes nowhere.

1 - He's good as an analyst, and appears to enjoy the role.
    2 - He has health issues related to stress. Why would he go into the lion's den and absorb the abuse of the NFL pressure?
    3 - He has been bestowed the title of "Assistant Athletic Director", which is a made up title where Meyer can just kinda float around and look important. which pays him $100k per year and all the perks he can grab. He gets to ride the train, toot the whistle and watch all the games from luxurious suites.

I'm thinking maybe Urban Meyer is wanting to coach in the NFL because he just has to know if he can succeed at the highest level of the game. This is just a theory. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just a theory. It doesn't mean I'm right!

@doubledragon said:
    I'm thinking maybe Urban Meyer is wanting to coach in the NFL because he just has to know if he can succeed at the highest level of the game. This is just a theory. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just a theory. It doesn't mean I'm right!

I just assumed you were his agent

m

Rumor has it he’s been assembling his staff for the last few weeks for Jacksonville. But don’t get too excited. He did the same for USC and then didn’t take the job.

W.C.Fields
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy just looks like a massive Dbag

BREAKING NEWS: Urban Meyer is headed to the NFL. The Jacksonville Jaguars and Urban Meyer are finalizing a deal. This is actually going to happen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/urban-meyer-jacksonville-jaguars-head-coach-145300585.html

When he falls onto the field clutching his heart the first quarter of game one I hope they just play around him or push him more out of bounds

m

@Justacommeman said:
    When he falls onto the field clutching his heart the first quarter of game one I hope they just play around him or push him more out of bounds

m

I think it is crazy for him to do this. The only reason I can see is maybe because the Jags have the number 1 pick and he'll get Lawrence and try to rebuild. I think he just has to know if he can succeed at the highest level. I just worry for his health, the NFL is going to be stressful.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is used to winning teams. Always having superior talent. Being mediocre, taking the field as a big underdog may cause even worse headaches. At least he can afford a large supply of Aleve.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

It’s the perfect fit for him. He has a home in Jacksonville. He’s a Florida legend. The media will go easy on him. He gets Trevor Lawrence and $70M in cap space and a tone of draft choices. Plus he knows every college player for the next 3 years. Remind you of Jimmy Johnson in Dallas?
    Not only that he only has one real QB to deal with in his division. The man is a genius.

W.C.Fields

I can't wait to watch him coach, he is a genius. I've listened to him talk about football a lot, and he knows the game as good as anybody I've ever seen.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I can't wait to watch him coach, he is a genius. I've listened to him talk about football a lot, and he knows the game as good as anybody I've ever seen.

Hey DoubleD! just for S's and G's forward his agent this thread as proof that you "mentally willed" it to happen. Then copy and paste the reply here.

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Hey DoubleD! just for S's and G's forward his agent this thread as proof that you "mentally willed" it to happen. Then copy and paste the reply here.

I should be Urban Meyer's agent, I've been working harder! This thread is my baby!