Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Will reproductions hurt the hobby?

I've read a disturbing thread on another forum that these reproductions could have a negative impact on the hobby. I know that they ID their listing as "Reproduction" but worry that if enough are sold, someone will try to pass a set off (or parts of a set) as the real deal? Could it cause new collectors to lose faith in buying a legit note?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a subject the fashion industry has been preaching for years - knockoff handbags, shoes, watches and the list goes on. You would hope new collectors will do their homework...in anything they collect.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Reproductions" can hurt a hobby badly. Just ask the collectors of vintage toys.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

At least the linked seller claims to adhere to the Treasury Department rules for US currency reproductions. If the product actually is as described (Uniface, enlarged 1.5x, and marked COPY on the back), I don't think there's much harm in these.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering because some sellers from Singapore (& China) are producing exact "duplicates" of scarce collectible banknotes (ie: no "Copy" or size adjustments which will be like counterfeits once they enter the country they're reproducing). Nothing is being done about this phenomenon because they're labelling their listings as a "Reproduction" (& eBay must need the business- I guess). I've complained to Ebay but haven't heard back. Check out how many views/followers these sellers get. According to another collector (from another forum) these characters sell dozens of fakes sets daily (& can't keep up with demand).

My problem with this trend is that it may deal a body blow to collector confidence. I've seen many young coin collectors post enquire whether some banknote is legit or a fake? In other forums I've visited there are countless posts on the fakes flooding the coin market (internationally fake gold coins has mushroomed coming from the same countries). Now, several have wondered if say "X" coin listed by "Y" seller is indeed legit. The same skepticism seems to be seeping into new banknote collectors' minds since they know there's a huge increase in sellers of super high definition fakes (which are getting very tough to determine if real or not).

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

**A few years ago I suggested that everyone gets alined and send letters to your respective Gov reps complaining and asking for harsh penalties and import enforcement. Gosh, they do it if you simply have a whiff of grass on you but you never touched the stuff. They put you through the wringer even if you are 80 years old and have a squeaky clean record......The law says......and gives them the right to do so.
    Not just send it to your Congressperson and or senator. **But also to any Gove rep. AND in addition also to every other Senator or whatever. INCLUDING the new President!!!!. **All of this would suddenly get their attention.
    unfortunately, my suggestion fell on deaf ears and little interest in this and another, a Canadian Forum.

The only way, IMO, is the Gov way with proper law enforcement, like jail and huge $$ fines and hard import customs enforcements at the borders
    In Canada, it is free to send mail to any Gov member. I am not sure about the USA.
    BUT my friends, complaining and doing nothing will make the issue much worse.
    It would only cost you (maybe) some postage. but in relation to falling prey to some shyster forger in a foreign country??? it is cheap!!
    I am sure there are a few excellent letter writers amongst the members here. Post some of these letters and we all copy and send!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's to stop some fool from gluing the front and back together and doffing it off again on fleaBay to some unsuspecting bidiot? Size doesn't matter in a photograph.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

@TitusFlavius said:
    At least the linked seller claims to adhere to the Treasury Department rules for US currency reproductions. If the product actually is as described (Uniface, enlarged 1.5x, and marked COPY on the back), I don't think there's much harm in these.

True, but there are reproductions (what you are talking about) and then there are REPRODUCTIONS (one could make the case of counterfeit notes).

Depending on what we are talking about, this could be very troubling.