Home Q & A Forum

1964 SMS

...staring at this couple of things sense I got them from pawn shop three weeks ago....still confused!!!!

Tagged:

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sets that a private individual put together. These are not official mint issued sets

Member of the ANA since 1982

This is the 1964 mint set that was sold by the US Mint.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZNC welcome to the party. Although not sms coins, you should examine each coin for errors, breaks and try your hand at grading each one. Hold them by the edge only, fingerprints are bad. You may have a few AU coins, which is cool. Have fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

What others have said about it not being an original 1964 SMS.

All 1964 SMS coins were found in the estate of a former mint director in the late 80s. They were acquired by a prominent dealer and subsequently sold. There is no evidence that any were released to the public. Unless you acquired these from the estate or from upper level mint personnel it is extremely unlikely you have them.

In addition, the SMS sets are only minted in Philadelphia. Some of your coins have a D mm.

Finally, there are die markers that can help identify the half dollar, although the marker is also found on business strikes.

If you think you truly hit the jackpot, you need to send them for authentication. Until then, without provenance you just have a group of 1964 coins. Remember, your making an extraordinary claim and extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not SMS coins. Just regular business strike coins.

The people your talking to are professionals in this business and know the ins and outs of these coins. Just take what they've told you and go with it, even though its not what you may want to hear.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

ZNC, what exactly is your question? There is no such thing as 1964 D SMS coins, yours are just normal circulation strike coins. Those are just common coin set holders available from any coin supply store that someone put coins in.

So you're saying that because it has a well struck acorn, it must be the first 1964-D SMS discovered?

Normally, I think you you would want to show die markers that exactly match existing SMS coins or at least find some mint documents that suggest SMS testing at Denver (lots of these are available on the Newman Numismatic Portal)

But then again, if you say "...I don't want to hear anything..." , I guess that's good enough for a the numismatic community to accept your discovery.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZNC said:
    ...and... I don’t wanna hear anything....

This makes me think that your not gonna budge on your incorrect decision and won’t listen to what the experts above had told you so why even ask???

Send it into PCGS and them decide if it’s a SMS.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

How important are rim dings when determining condition? Are small dings overlooked until there's more than a few? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• I will agree that some seem to be such better grades for this Year.
    I have found these both in every day circulation! FYI My way of getting them close for comparison so keep the cotton swab jokes to your self please thanks.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PinchingPennies

No jokes about the cotton swab, but it would seem you have been pushing it too far into your ear and may have scratched your brain. ;):*

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZNC said:
    ...what is more intriguing is...they are all D/D errors...

@Namvet69 said:
    @ZNC welcome to the party. Although not sms coins, you should examine each coin for errors, breaks and try your hand at grading each one. Hold them by the edge only, fingerprints are bad. You may have a few AU coins, which is cool. Have fun. Peace Roy

D/D would be varieties not errors. I hate to correct an expert, but...