Home Sports Talk

Any gamblers here?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2020 3:45PM in Sports Talk

Apparently Charles Barkley put a $100k on the Trailblazers to win it all. He's a big gambler, and often loses, but that made me take a look at them.

I liked the rumors of James Harden possibly going to the Portland Trailblazers. He makes any good team a contender.

I watched the Blazers steamroll the Lakers ( who had both AD and LeBron) last night. Oh the Blazers didn't have Carmelo Anthony.

The good future bet odds come early when it's really a semi educated guess. I mentioned before I'm pretty lucky with these future bets. They really pay for my other gambling misadventures.

I placed a couple of wagers (slightly less than Barkley's).

22:1 to win Western Conference

45:1 to win it all

Get some

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Trailblazers win it all, I'll eat my shirt!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tinker here and there. I’m a long shot bettor, when I hit it’s great but not too often lol. 100K to Barkley is probably like a $100 to us

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time ever I will cash in on every one of my NFL futures. If you scan the posts in August I posted these:
    New England Under 9.5 $100
    SF under 10.5 $100
    Dallas under 10 $100
    Cincinnati under 5.5 $100
    Jets under 7 $100

My other prediction was Josh Allen would finish in the top 3 of MVP voting. He was QB #22 in preseason and #16 in fantasy.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

as currently constructed, i can't envision the Blazers doing the deed this year, hammer time.

and i also can't envision Harden on that roster. a notable big man? yes. a third guard who jacks the ball up early and often? no. i just don't see how James, Dame and CJ could harmonize. where would all the shots come from?

if they went the small ball route and had those 3 on the court simultaneously, they'd get rebounded off the floor. the Rockets tried that last year and it was all fun and games until they met up with the Lake Show in the playoffs. and if 1 of the 3 came off the bench............well, i won't even finish that thought because i definitely don't see any of them vying for the 6th man of the year award.

for the sake of your futurista, i hope i'm wrong. good luck!

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    as currently constructed, i can't envision the Blazers doing the deed this year, hammer time.

and i also can't envision Harden on that roster. a notable big man? yes. a third guard who jacks the ball up early and often? no. i just don't see how James, Dame and CJ could harmonize. where would all the shots come from?

if they went the small ball route and had those 3 on the court simultaneously, they'd get rebounded off the floor. the Rockets tried that last year and it was all fun and games until they met up with the Lake Show in the playoffs. and if 1 of the 3 came off the bench............well, i won't even finish that thought because i definitely don't see any of them vying for the 6th man of the year award.

Good take.

What I'm reading is CJ goes to the Rockets. If Philly won't send Simmons, there's a chance Blazers get Harden.

@hammer1 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Good take.

What I'm reading is CJ goes to the Rockets. If Philly won't send Simmons, there's a chance Blazers get Harden.

from all that i'm hearing here in H-town, the Rockets are demanding a king's ransom for Harden. makes sense for CJ to be a part of that trade, but there would be much more than him leaving the city limits of Portland, i guarantee you. and i just don't know if it would be worth it for the Blazers to emasculate the team for years for a modest upgrade at SG. (and i say modest because although it's early, McCollum is showing signs of having a career year.) and what other attractive pieces/picks do they possess that the Rockets would covet?

it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2020 5:32PM

@galaxy27 said:

@hammer1 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Good take.

from all that i'm hearing here in H-town, the Rockets are demanding a king's ransom for Harden. makes sense for CJ to be a part of that trade, but there would be much more than him leaving the city limits of Portland, i guarantee you. and i just don't know if it would be worth it for the Blazers to emasculate the team for years for a modest upgrade at SG. (and i say modest because although it's early, McCollum is showing signs of having a career year.) and what other attractive pieces/picks do they possess that the Rockets would covet?

This is what I read:

Houston Rockets Receive: CJ McCollum, Zach Collins, Anfernee Simons, Gary Trent Jr., Enes Kanter, 2023 1st Round Pick, 2025 1st Round Pick, 2027 1st Round Pick

btw Trent Jr looked great last night...

btw the line that jumped out at me this week is Dallas-NYG. before it ever opened i felt a W coming on by the Boys. then i saw -2.5 and a very doable ML and couldn't believe my eyes. when i feel this good about a game i tend to get a little apprehensive, but if you're gonna gamble then you've gotta punch it when your instincts scream at you

thus i hopped on dimeman's team like white on rice to win outright on Sunday

edited December 29, 2020 5:54PM

@hammer1 said:

@galaxy27 said:

@hammer1 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Good take.

This is what I read:

Houston Rockets Receive: CJ McCollum, Zach Collins, Anfernee Simons, Gary Trent Jr., Enes Kanter, 2023 1st Round Pick, 2025 1st Round Pick, 2027 1st Round Pick

btw Trent Jr looked great last night...

is the GM's wife in there, too? i love me some Beard, but let's shoot straight: the guy is 31 now, still doesn't play defense, is starting to display gradual signs of density issues, and recently showed that he has a little Dwayne Haskins in him

is he worth all that? i personally say no. if i was Portland i'd look elsewhere to upgrade...

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2020 7:16PM

If Harden leaves, I feel bad for his fans. The people that invested so much into his jerseys and memorbilia. If he leaves, what will happen to all of those fake beards? They'll go to waste, that's what!

@galaxy27 said:

it'll almost be worth it to watch the Cowboys flame out just so Bayless will writhe in agony, which is exactly what he is doing right now on twitter

remember when Zeke Elliott was arguably the best back in the league? those days are ancient history........never to return. dude cant stay healthy and has lost a step and a half when he is. he'll be gone from Dallas soon.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@galaxy27 said:

it'll almost be worth it to watch the Cowboys flame out just so Bayless will writhe in agony, which is exactly what he is doing right now on twitter

remember when Zeke Elliott was arguably the best back in the league? those days are ancient history........never to return. dude cant stay healthy and has lost a step and a half when he is. he'll be gone from Dallas soon.

Unfortunately in this day and age elite backs are not as coveted as they once where. Of course there are still great backs and they command bundles of respect but the league has shifted. WR screens and backs by committee are the rage. Why pay a guy $20M that would be left un used in a game you’re down by 18? Don’t get me wrong it’s an awesome weapon to finish a game or pound a team into submission but KC won it last year with a good running team and a good defense. They won it with unstoppable weapons. Pay the QB and build an elite receiver corp and great OL.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.