Home Q & A Forum

mint error? What could it be worth?

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

It looks like you have what is commonly called a lamination error, it is a planchet flaw.
    Technically it has de-laminated but nickels are not laminated in the first place.
    Yours is larger than the average one and may bring a little more because of that.
    It would be worth quite a bit more if the coin was Mint State but it appears to be circulated.
    A guess on value would be $25 - $50.
    Here are some sold listings for other nickel laminations for you to look through.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=nickel+lamination&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

• Mike974039Mike974039 Posts: 7
    edited December 28, 2020 5:21PM

I thought it was a lamination error myself

• Thank you for welcoming me to the forum, the local coin shop is sending it to anacs to be graded, I should have said that, I will post updates as I get them,I would hope that they wouldn't spend $62 on getting it graded if it's only worth $50,, again, thank you for your input..I look forward to posting more coins and hearing from you 😊

• Just out of curiosity, if it does turn out to be a mint error, what would the approximate value be?

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post an update when you get the coin back. ;)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 6:37PM

Extreme example of a lamination.

No idea on value but I suspect you won't be able to retire on it.

If the coin is yours and the dealer is sending it in it might be interesting to know what they thought it was worth, or what they might have been willing to offer for it.

Meant to add: nice find.

• Just got this from Jim's coins, he looks to be a reputable coin appraiser

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could try posting pics in a new thread (make sure "error" is in the title) in the US Coins Forum. That gets more traffic and two or three of the top dealers in errors might weigh in.