Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Very Rare 1984 Topps Prototype Cards PSA Graded

CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

null

Comments

• CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2020 7:44AM

These are the only graded examples of these incredibly hard to find proof cards. These "head in the box" proof cards came out the back door at Topps years ago and its estimated less than 100 sheets were released.

This design differs from the standard 1984 design because the player head shot is totally inside the box. The design was later updated to have the heads poke out of the top of the box. These proofs are actually more like design prototypes that were never intended to be seen.

The printing is simply the four-color ink. The sheet had no protective varnish coat added, so they appear a bit duller than the standard cards.

I had these professionally cut at a printer so they could achieve high grades. Each is the only of it's kind in a PSA slab.

Tom Seaver, PSA 9 $700
    Wade Boggs, PSA 9 $700
    Jim Rice, PSA 9 $500
    Robin Yount, PSA 9 $500
    Don Sutton, PSA 9 $400
    Hubie Brooks, PSA 10 $400
    Bill Madlock, PSA 10 $400
    Cecil Cooper, PSA 9 $200
    Ken Griffey Sr., PSA 9 $200
    Doug DeCinces, PSA 9 $100
    Bob Boone, PSA 9 $100
    Luis Leal, PSA 9 $100
    Roy Lee Jackson, PSA 9 $100
    Carlie Lea, PSA 9 $100
    Dan Schatzeder, PSA 9 $100

Prices include shipping. Payment via PayPal F&F, check or money order.

Thanks for looking!

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

Forgive my ignorance on the 1984 Topps Proofs....but what makes them different than regular Topps. I'm not seeing any difference. Are the backs blank? Was it some sort of a sheet that was sold by Topps vault? Thanks for any info.

• DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Good luck with the sale. Very nicely cut!

@yankeeno7 said:
    Forgive my ignorance on the 1984 Topps Proofs....but what makes them different than regular Topps. I'm not seeing any difference. Are the backs blank? Was it some sort of a sheet that was sold by Topps vault? Thanks for any info.

The small inter picture stays completely within the black border. "Head in box"
    Also, they're blank backed.
    Here's an image of the regular Bob Boone for comparison.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15

David is correct. The design was changed to pop the heads out. These copies are really design prototypes that escaped the print shop.

Still have these beauties available.

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys...great info!

These super scarce prototypes (and one of a kind in PSA slabs) are still available. Make an offer!

• cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Poor Sutton...always getting a 2nd rate HoF value. Yet, the opposing batters were none too happy to face him that day in the rotation.

edited January 5, 2021 11:27AM

Still have these beauties available. I will consider trades and offers too. Thanks!