Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

To grade or keep raw ?

Bought the story , but how about the note? Not real sure of value, but haven't seen many so fresh and clean. ( I said it should be graded)

A fellow near my age ( late sixties ) brought me a note that belongs to his 93 year old father who worked for the bank for 40 years.

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have it graded, even though most of the value of some Nationals is location and not condition. My minimum threshold is notes valued at least $100, and this note certainly meets that.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think its worth it, jmo

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The signatures, which appear to have been done with rubber stamps, look like they may have been subjected to water at some point. Check the note to see if the embossing is still present. If it isn't you can be fairly certain that the note was soaked and pressed at some point.

Do collectors of National Bank Notes really care about having graded notes? If they do you should have it graded. If they don't, save your money. The note is in nice shape and someone will love having it in their collection.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth great insight on grade condition. Is the embossing a type of watermark? on this note. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

"_ Is the embossing a type of watermark?_ "
    No, embossing has nothing to do with the watermark.

It is typically the impressions made when the note has been serial numbered. One can feel the embossing on the opposite side of where the serial numbers have been applied (so on the front if the SN was applied on the back & on the back if the SN was applied on the front). In the above National example, the embossing should be felt behind the A600334B. Evidence of embossing allow TPG certifiers to assign the note either EPQ, PPQ or "Original" ** designation because it disappears fairly quickly when the note has been pressed. I agree with"291fifth" b/c **AU to UNC "EPQ" would be a significant factor that would ultimately increase the market value of this note (since so many older notes were washed/pressed) or damaged. Many other factors can also eliminate the chance of having the above designation. If the note was subject to water than it would lose any chance of an "Original/EPQ/PPQ" designation.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

_ "Is the embossing a type of watermark? "_
    -No, embossing has nothing to do with the watermark.

Embossing is the impression made by the serial number press after the serial number has been applied. The impression is similar to what one feels on CDN banknotes that have the little braille dots applied on their banknotes to assist the visually impaired. For the National example above, the impressions would be on the reverse side, behind the SN A600334B. TPG's could feel it and give the note EPQ (or PPQ/ Original) designation. That is what most collectors (who are willing to unload big bucks) would look for if bidding on an older banknote like this. Water damage would also eliminate the chance for EPQ/PPQ designation. I agree with "291fifth" since the note in question looks pretty nice as is & TPG may reveal problems that would only decrease the market value of this note.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    @291fifth great insight on grade condition. Is the embossing a type of watermark? on this note. Peace Roy

Embossing occurs as a part of the intaglio printing process. It is not a watermark. Hold the note flat, looking at the back of the note. If the design and serial numbers seem to have depth the note still has its original embossing. If the note appears completely flat the note has probably been soaked and pressed at some point to remove minor folds.

All glory is fleeting.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to submit a note for grading... it is one of those things that is on my bucket list. I like your note... I would send it in for grading with other notes to make the costs more economical.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

I think that it will come back with a "net" designation...looks like put into some type solvent and the ink washed through to the reverse...leave it raw...if you want to spend the money, send it in. If it comes back with negative comments, cut it out...in any event, I doubt that it will increase the value of the note graded.