Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Canadian Note - Error or Fake ?

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought is it's possible but I defer to our banknote collectors north of the border. Did you examine the rev for any traces of design ink? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 11:38AM

I don’t know much about Canadian notes, but I do believe this particular note is supposed to have a printed back, not blank. If that’s the error, I’m surprised at all the circulation it saw before being pulled.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the closest I could find to a 1954 Canada $1

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice how yours are missing the Left and Right Serial Numbers. I don't know what to make of it but thanks for sharing.

• habs007habs007 Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

the heavy wear is a bit of a head scratcher

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, noticed the missing serial numbers, which would be a separate impression step. This type of error has occurred in US banknotes so.....Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

im not sure

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

This type of error can be faked by carefully splitting the note in half.

Weigh it. I don't know what a Canadian $1 is supposed to weigh but a U.S. dollar weighs very close to 1.00 grams. Weigh a 1954 Canadian Dollar and compare to this one.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you please take Images directly from the top?
    NOT in an angle. The camera on top, straight down. and clearly sharp focus.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

"This type of error can be faked by carefully splitting the note in half."

• I agree this note looks like a manufactured "error" or a bogus note which has been put through some sort of extreme "exposure/testing." I've seen a video on Youtube where a person had split a banknote in two (the y-tuber who did it claimed it was a scheme to rip people off by using what appears to be 2 notes/showing only the half side and scamming the person into thinking they were getting the full note). I've also seen CDN $1 (from 1954 only) with the serial numbers removed. I would suspect that this was done or that the perpetrators decided to test run a bogus note. You won't be able to see the microprint on either a bogus nor an extremely washed ragged note like that.
    edited December 19, 2020 9:31AM

habs007
    So, are you going to post sharp and straight images to eliminate doubts of it being an "altered" note?
    serial No 8, it is not a DV like your avatar.
    i would like to see the plate #s which all 1954 1$ notes have on each side.
    The one-sided print and "or" extreme usage does not cause any alarm at this time.
    what does set x-mas bells off is this: why has nobody taken this note out of circulation and sold it to a collector.
    I will next day or so post a couple of $1 Canada 1954's which are very interesting and have sort of a few things in common with OP note.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

"So, are you going to post sharp and straight images to eliminate doubts of it being an "altered" note?
    serial No 8, it is not a DV like your avatar.
    i would like to see the plate #s which all 1954 1$ notes have on each side.
    "

I don't recall posting that the note in question is a DV (whatever a DV means) nor a Devil's Face (like my avatar). (Devil's Face banknotes either have Coyne-Towers or for a limited # of prefixes, the Beattie-Coyne signature & NOT Beattie-Rasminsky signature combo as seen in the OP). The Devil's Face & Modified series look quite different to me.

"AlexinPA" has posted an appropriate scan of a similar $1 banknote which only slightly demonstrates how a circular pattern caused by the BOC microprint logo (inscribed in the green under print) is barely visible. The same can be said for the FPN (Front Position Number) which happens to be a tiny # on the far left, above the "BANK OF CANADA- BANQUE DU CANADA" banner. A decent scan with high enough DPI will show some of the intricate details of a BOC banknotes' security features. However, it should be a high def scan of a clean Fine to UNC banknote rather than a photo since the FPN is so small (unless employng a macro lense with perfect lighting).

But a "better photo" will not set off any "xmas bells" for me because the one sided note is in such POOR condition it won't help our cause to see any planchettes, microprinting nor plate numbers. All these points re: OP photo angles of a super washed/damaged one-sided $1 are rather moot. I actually came across a $1 with serial numbers removed & the note looked as if it were bleached (I could barely see the microprint). I sold it as a manufactured error "bonus" & was happy to be rid of it. I doubt it's bogus since its only a $1 but rather a "manufactured error."

NOT ALL 1954 BOC $1 had FPN. So far Charlton has noted that the CBN (Canadian Banknote Co) printed the W/N prefix with no FPN & that the **BABN ** (British American Banknote Co) printed T/M, U/M & a small range of *B/M with no FPN (Front Position Numbers).

But I am interested in YQQ's "couple of $1 Canada 1954's which are very interesting and have sort of a few things in common with OP note"

Here is a correct explanation, NOT a guess!!!

Provided your Banknote is authentic, meaning the present printing and paper are original,
    Here is an explanation, based on facts not guessing perhaps or maybe’s, about printing the Canadian Banknotes of 1954 from the 1 $ to the $ 1000.
    How do I know this? simple: A few years after 1954, I founded and owned a then Hi-tech electrical servise company in Canada, servicing most printing and graphic equipment in Canada. I recognized it as a much-needed niche-market and took a chance.
    Often, we were called to other cities for service, as my company in a very short time became also the service rep for a number of manufacturers. It required specific skills and understanding to work on printing equipment.
    Most Canadian Banknotes were manufactured by The British American Banknote Company with branches and shops in other countries including Canada. Usually, extremely expensive German-made Printing presses were used, hand-built by a company called Miehle and later Roland. They were at the time (probably still are), the leaders in that part of the printing Industry.
    These presses at the time had no electronics and few automatic controls on them … at the time. nearly everything adjustable had to be manually adjusted to the finest tolerances (like a swiss watch), including the color ratio-mix to create the prescribed color as the end result.
    I.e. making a green note requires blue and yellow in the proper ratio. All were hand adjusted at the inkwell for each color. Each inkwell had to be manually refilled with its respective base ink color for the proper color mixing ratio to be achieved as the end result.
    Since the $1 bill has a grade of green on each side, blue and yellow are the base colors, plus black for the text. Depending of course, if it was a press capable to print 1, 2 3, or 4 colors during a cycle run on ONE side only. To print the other side, the whole stack had to be turned around and go through the same procedure on the other side. Many stacks were done before the turn around happened to print the other side.
    In each case, test runs were performed while register and color adjustments were made to comply with the usually very accurate specs of placing measurements exactly in the right position and colors.
    rejected sheets were kept, counted, recorded, and later “certified” destroyed….sometimes the odd one might have slipped through the cracks and nobody cared too much as there actually was no record of it until it was numbered. At these times there were loose internal working arrangements and accounting of the sheets was important but was not the most important task.
    Sometimes a sheet was moved unintentionally onto the wrong and already processed pile.
    Now, you are able to spin this as to why some bills have NO serial number at all or are only half colored, or have a different color on one side than the other.
    Same way, just a different printing run, different wrong move, a wrong ink adjustment, etc, etc, and even a different denomination… a pressman went for a smoke instead of doing a check before, but it was never the machine at fault… it was always the human Non-correct input, but the same machinery.
    Provided your bill is authentic, I believe this is what happened here. It was probably, printed side up and then casually, without ill intentions, placed on to a finished printed (both sides) stack of sheets with more stacked on top of the pile and then forklifted to the Polar or Schneider cutter, also a highly sophisticated machine cutting up to 500 sheets at a time… as sharp as hair.
    Now, your and 47 other bills became individual Dollar bills and were distributed through the Bank of Canda to the banks and into circulation. until someone noticed the one side was missing all ink and handed it to a collector..
    Now you all have a rough explanation of how this is practically about the only legal way that this Note could have happened. even sometimes without a serial number or signature.
    If it is authentic, it should, despite its condition, be worth a bit more than a buck as it would be a true printing error.
    I will post another, closely related to this very soon.
    H

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Very informational explanation, YQQ!! Thanks!

will also post some images of a note or two soon. (originals are in safe) .

• habs007habs007 Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

straight image