Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

I guess I’m collecting banknotes now? I blame all of you.

After finding a 1947 25 Rubles note at a coin shop I went online and started researching more. Now these have arrived and I’m hunting for more. :D

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool notes!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool notes and were glad to have helped out lol >:)

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard and those are very nice notes.

• Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

Very Cool … however you did that all by yourself 😀 Nice notes and it is indeed addictive.

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone! It is indeed addicting just like coins :D the hunt is fun though.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are nice

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those po!y notes? Have you decided on a binder? Why mother russia? Inquiring minds want to know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Namvet69 Yes a couple are polyglot notes, I actually bought them by accident not realizing they were different than the regular bank issued notes, but now I have 2 of the 3 denominations, and they were cheap so I guess I’ll find the last!

I work for PCGS and photograph banknotes pretty often so I’m going to submit them all because it’s a fun process and I like finding out grades and stuff! I know they’ll cost more to holder than they’re worth but it’s fun and I’m not trying to make money or invest or anything.

As for why Russian, I have no idea! I was in my local coin shop and he had a 1947 25 Ruble note in UNC condition that I thought was really cool looking so I bought it and already submitted it. I decided to learn more about them and found that the entire collection of State Bank issued notes during the Communist years isn’t very large or expensive and they all have neat colors, cool looking lettering and generally nice overall designs so I decided why not use this as a way to learn about banknotes. I have the added benefit that I can walk over to the banknotes division at work and they’ve been super helpful in teaching me too!

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Stick with it, paper rocks!!

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

The paper money of Russia is fascinating, there is so much variety. Tsarist, civil war, USSR, WW2, post-USSR periods all resulted in plenty of collectible paper money, and a lot of it is interesting looking, with lots of variety.

@element159 Totally agree. I guess what's what made me want to continue looking and not stop at the first note. Lots of interesting stuff and lots of history with their drastic changes in political structure over the years.

Well they’ve all been submitted to PCGS Banknotes so wish me luck! Now I’ll refresh the orders page 12 times a day for a month or two 😝

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack Funny coincidence, I just acquired ten 500,00 dong Vietnam poly banknotes with Uncle Ho on them. Only two are uncirculated and crisp, which I'll add to my collection. The rest have slight creases, which I shall sell or trade off. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• I caught the bug myself. Last May I saw a yotube video about world bank notes. Thought to myself that is very cool. Now about 8 months later I have over 1,000 different notes. Mostly cheap ones. Been in the coin business a long time but just never paid attention to world notes. Looks like I got into it a little late because the good ones have gone up so much. That is ok. I still love the ones I have.

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

Don't blame us~ blame those crisp, attractive Russian rubles!

Funny you should mention that. I got them back from grading today!

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

I'm not really a numbers guy (62 or 67?). It's all rather academic to me after you reach AU 50 (& you got the PPQ). Eye appeal is what does it for me but it sure must feel sweet to get those stratospheric certifications. Congrats! & savour those lofty grades. Should make it that much easier (& kinder to your pocketbook) to unload them should you wish to let them 'fly the coop' down the road.

These can be very addictive: >:)

I definitely go more for the looks and enjoyment than any sort of perceived value with them!

Don’t you start @asheland :D I do actually want some colonial currency at some point though.

:D I want a nice colonial too at some point... B)