Home Q & A Forum

Serial Number alignment question?

I'm a Rookie so don't be surprised if I ask something that is common knowledge.

The photo is a one dollar bill note, the serial number is not aligned properly. The last three digits/letter are 00S. The second "0" is misaligned and sits higher than all of the other numbers. The serial on the left side is normal, this one is not.

Printer error?
Is this common?
Have you seen this before?
Would the error make the note worth more than face value?
Would any one venture a guess to its value if more that one dollar?

I just happened to see it in a band of fifty ones while looking for star notes and etc. I reexamined all the ones I have and I did not see this again. I'm supposing it's rare and sometimes rare means valuable, sometimes it doesn't. Curious minds want to know.

See:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17pYftb4Rv6QqefLPNw-h3VLt8Vq3ki9K/view?usp=sharing

David in East Texas

David In East Texas

Best Answer

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is very slightly misaligned. You'll see these from time to time but that small misalignment doesn't add any value

I would spend it, but if you like it, there's nothing wrong with keeping it. You only have a buck tied up.

Member of the ANA since 1982

Answers

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBach Howdy! That's a common occurrence but ya never know what you'll find. Checking my coins and notes is second nature for me. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

A larger misalignment of one or more digits of the serial number is called a "Turned digit" or "Stuck digit" error, but it's got to be turned more than that to be worth a premium.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

you'd ave more replies on the currency forum

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-world-currency-forum

while not entirely commonplace, if you search enough you'll run across some with slightly misaligned enough to know it's no big deal.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions