Home Autographs Forum

Will Clark Auto'd Bat

Picked up this bat about 30 years ago from a dealer in Fresno. I was told that Wendall Kim, Base coach of the Giants and former coach of the Fresno Giants , got this from Will. He said the Cooper Bat Company sent him about 10 bats to try out. Apparently he stayed with the Adirondack. Can anybody Verify this? Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with items like this is that the stories associated with them are essentially worthless unless the item has written authentication from an accepted authority. There are just too may fake sports autographs out there to warrant taking chances on such items. Authentication may cost more than it is worth (and I have no idea what it is worth).

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like he passed away in 2015 :/

Otherwise I would suggested to try to contact him directjy.

I agree that these stories are nice to hear but essentially worthless without documentation.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least the handwriting is legible. Wiu Clark.

• jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Looks like he passed away in 2015 :/

Are you sure? I thought he was still living and I don't see where he has passed?

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

I think it was wikipedia.

Another idea would be to ask Cooper. It's a longshot but might add to the story.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think the story (whether true or not) affects the value in any significant way......

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

It would appear Wendell Kim died in 2015, but since the comment "he passed away in 2015" didn't reference Kim or Clark, it might have confused some. Clark is still alive, of course. He did a private signing through someone on facebook recently. I remember this specifically, because there were pictures of him and I barely recognized him! I suppose he (Clark) might be able to answer that question easily, if someone could pose it to him.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar said:
    It would appear Wendell Kim died in 2015, but since the comment "he passed away in 2015" didn't reference Kim or Clark, it might have confused some. Clark is still alive, of course. He did a private signing through someone on facebook recently. I remember this specifically, because there were pictures of him and I barely recognized him! I suppose he (Clark) might be able to answer that question easily, if someone could pose it to him.

Yes, thx for clarifying. I picked up Kim's name from the first post.

If it were mine I would send a letter (with stamped return envelope) to Clark and ask if the story/bats are as told by the dealer. Not sure how much value it might add, but it would preserve the possible history and might add an interest angle.

• thanks for all your input, I will send him a letter