Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Young Numismatist Corner: James Hughes: A Young Buck Who Loves Banknotes

In our latest PCGS Young Numismatist Corner, we hear from James Hughes, an 18-year-old banknote dealer from Berwyn, Pennsylvania.

Here is a brief excerpt, the full article can be found below. "I’ve been involved in numismatics ever since my grandparents introduced me to their coin collection when I was about seven or eight years old. My brother and I spent the whole day researching the coins they showed us and slowly caught the numismatic bug. I focused my numismatic business on United States banknotes because I love the artwork associated with those notes. There are so many historical events symbolized and illustrated through the banknote designs."

Full article: https://www.pcgs.com/news/james-hughes-a-young-buck-who-loves-banknotes

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who says that young people have no interest in numismatics?

This is good to see. There will always be new collectors. The numbers may wax and wane in cycles but there will always be collectors.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

A name I know.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for James. He found a way to earn a living doing something he loves doing. Hearing he got his start from his grandparents is music to my ears. A classic numismatic story.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

What a fun read. His enthusiasm for collectible banknotes is truly infectious (love the Educational $5 posted too).

I wish I had the confidence to know what a banknote was worth to me (not looking at a catalogue) when I was his age. Mind you, a lot of these notes would have been much more affordable back then (but I digress). I know I would have been inspired to meet a dealer like him years ago (if it were possible to meet a young dealer back in those days). When I started attending shows dealers always seemed to be twice my age. I'm sure he'll be very successful.