Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grade review / automatic re-holder/damaged slab

rdeffleyrdeffley Posts: 85 ✭✭
edited December 9, 2020 11:29AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I sent four cards into PSA for grade review going for bumps. One of those cards was a 63 Fleer Sandy Koufax PSA9.

The Koufax was reholdered in a cracked slab. Now of course PSA initially insinuated "shipping damage". But the box showed no external damage, and the other three cards were fine. So if it had happened in shipping, the box itself would show issues or the other three cards would be effected as well. It wouldn't just be one card. Also who's ever heard of the front of a PSA slab cracking in a secure padded box?

Now what bugs me is that in the past when you do reviews, you set a minimum grade and the card is reviewed in slab. It is only supposed to be cracked out if it bumps. Yet PSA cracked out all four of my cards and re-holdered them. I didn't ask for reholdering as part of the service.

Comments

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

never know what to expect these days, with all the new workers and such...

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happens. I had a bulk order last winter and one of the small boxes had I think eight cards that ranged from cracked to shattered. Customer service was very good at fixing the problem at no cost to me, and even made sure I knew there would be no change to any of the grades before they returned them to me.

I can't speak to the reholders, but if they had to see the card in hand to determine why it got such a low grade, that would explain it.

• Options

@daltex said:
    I can't speak to the reholders, but if they had to see the card in hand to determine why it got such a low grade, that would explain it.

Well I wouldn't call four PSA9's "low grades" :D But they should make it clear that they are now doing crack out raw reviews to reholders. I personally like my old labels and didn't want them reholdered. The Koufax also sustained damage to the back that wasn't there before which happened with PSA's handling of the card and reholdering.

I've filed a damage claim but initially I was told that PSA simply re-grades and then refunds the difference in value between the grades. This to me is BS. I either want the EXACT card back that I sent in, or nothing at all with full reimbursement. I don't want to take back a lower graded card as a reminder of their screw up, nor should I have to try and sell it to make up the difference to buy back what I lost.

If we're declaring value, that should be reimbursed in full if PSA is at fault. Not a regrade and refund on lower value difference.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you send in a 9 for review unless you thought the 9 was a low grade and that it should be a 10? It seems possible they'd have to crack it out to figure out why.

Sorry about your damage claim, but it should be clear that PSA doesn't work that way. You send your cards in and get the exact same cards back. If thee is a difference in value from when you send them in and when they receive them, they'll refund the difference in value. That's it.