Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Michael Jordan Rookie Star 1985 101 - Real or Fake?

Hello, somebody is advertising on ebay that a MJ rookie from 1985 Star is for sale at staring bid of $661. In the ad it mentions that it's an original and not reprint. I saw some of the pics and there's a glossy finish with the lighting. I am unsure whether to bid and don't want to buy a fake. I already have the fleer 86 Jordan rookie graded 9 by beckett. Please advise!!!

Comments

• Options
    ReedBBCEReedBBCE Posts: 25 ✭✭✭

Fake.

Real ones don't have borders that thick.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974 email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com

Facebook: bbcexchange
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a reason you're suspicious, trust your gut. If legitimate, why isn't it in a BGS holder to maximize profit?

• Options

Wrong stock, wrong sheen... and the telltale sign; it's centered.... Fake, fake, fake.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Fugazi

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    CenteredMantlesCenteredMantles Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 7:21AM

Card is real. It is from the 1996 Topps Stars set that was released to commemorate the 50 greatest players of all time. They had glossy reprints of many rookie cards of the 50 greatest inserted into the product. They also made a finest "chrome" version as well as a refractor. The base card above is not worth anywhere near the asking price though.

Not the real deal XRC but still a cool card (though I think the refractor is the way to go lol)

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CenteredMantles said:
    Card is real. It is from the 1996 Topps Stars set that was released to commemorate the 50 greatest players of all time. They had glossy reprints of many rookie cards of the 50 greatest inserted into the product. They also made a finest "chrome" version as well as a refractor. The base card above is not worth anywhere near the asking price though.

Not the real deal XRC but still a cool card (though I think the refractor is the way to go lol)

Negative, Ghost Rider. The 1996 Topps Stars reprints say reprint on the back with a 1996 copyright. What we have here is just a straigh-up fake card all around.

Arthur

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CenteredMantles said:

I own an MJ 96 Topps Star Reprint and that isn't it. The front on the card above could pass for it but this is what the back looks like.

• Options

My mistake, I only checked the glossy front. That is a fake reprint then lol.

• Options

Ok. I have the same question. Mine is glossy on the front, the back 101 is a bit OC to the Bball. And the trademark circle around the R is small. I thought this was fake but people are telling me its real.....

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Just another eBay fake jordan scam. A dime a dozen.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Richie0131 said:
    Ok. I have the same question. Mine is glossy on the front, the back 101 is a bit OC to the Bball. And the trademark circle around the R is small. I thought this was fake but people are telling me its real.....

On the real card is "round" spelled correctly? I don't have any of these and honestly don't know.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Fake ^ - that is the more commonly faked version, with **Reb **instead of **REB **on back.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that's real I'll eat my rear end.

Arthur

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

pleaseberealpleaseberealpleaseberealpleaseberealpleasebereal

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Also Jordan looks bald also a sign of a fake

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

@daltex said:

@Richie0131 said:

On the real card is "round" spelled correctly? I don't have any of these and honestly don't know.

I found that the Black bordered ones share the same Characteristics as my Red Bordered. I'll try to attach pics..And, the Round is misspelled as well. So confusing...lol

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Star didn't make a black bordered version of their '85 Jordan,that card is something someone printed on their own to sell on ebay along with all of the other fake "reprints."

• Options

Hey everyone, I am looking at this MJ Star 101 the seller is claiming is authentic. Can anyone offer an opinion?