Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

What does suffix mean

Looking at Washington quarters I see that there is a 4 point bonus for a suffix. I don't think it means dcam or cam or + so does it mean something like a first strike designation or what else would it mean.
Thanks

Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer

Comments

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smallchange said:
    Looking at Washington quarters I see that there is a 4 point bonus for a suffix. I don't think it means dcam or cam or + so does it mean something like a first strike designation or what else would it mean.
    Thanks

There are about 55 different types of sets for Washington Quarters. So that I can try to help you with a specific answer, exactly which set(s) are you looking at that designate a 4 point bonus for a suffix?

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

It is for the Washington clad quarter in the Dansco 7070 set. It says "No suffix bonus/deduction" then has 4 points listed for that. Thanks for any help, it is one of those things that just caught my attention and I feel like I have to find an answer.

edited November 30, 2020 4:43AM

@smallchange - I have the explanation. They expect the Washington Clad Quarter to have a suffix bonus of either CAM (and then they’ll give you one bonus point), or DCAM (and then you’ll get two bonus points). If your clad Washington quarter has neither suffix bonus (not CAM or DCAM) then there’s a DEDUCTION of four points!

I partake too in the two Dansco 7070 sets (the set without gold I’m #2, and the set with gold I’m #3, behind D.L. Hansen and his daughter Diana).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

Thanks winesteven I keep forgetting about the proof designation as I am trying to keep it all circulated grades. I will try and crack into the top 100 😊 very impressed to say the least with your rank

@smallchange said:
    Thanks winesteven I keep forgetting about the proof designation as I am trying to keep it all circulated grades. I will try and crack into the top 100 😊 very impressed to say the least with your rank

Please keep the following in mind with sticking with all business strikes in your Dansco 7070 set:
    1. For that Washington Clad Quarter, since it's weighted at "only" 1, there's not too much harm without the suffix.
    2. Years ago I started out like you, with only business strikes, but I discovered:
    a) Many times it was less expensive buying a Proof coin than a Business strike coin in the same grade;
    b) With the proofs, you can often get a CAM at small money over a Proof in that same grade without a CAM, yet the CAM will typically add a full extra grade point! Very cost efficient way of getting more rating points.
    c) A Proof coin will almost always look so much nicer in eye appeal than a Business strike, due to the extra pressure and/or extra strike by the dies, and polished watery mirrors. A Proof coin will show so much better what that coin was designed to look like!

Thanks for your kind words about my sets, and Happy Hunting!

Steve