Home Sports Talk

Who is the best player in the NFL?

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll give my answer after I see what others have to say. Hint.......don't think his initials are T.B., A.R., P.M., D.B., R.W., etc., etc.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hands down it's Colts kicker Rodrigo Blankenship, and it's not even close.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best player or MVP?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 1:01PM

In all seriousness, I would hate to have to block against a T.J. Watt, Khalil Mack, or Aaron Donald. Take your pick.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aaron Donald

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say probably Aaron Donald.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

it would have to be a QB, because that is the most important position. the best QB currently is Mahomes

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

A well written deep dive into just how great of a player Mahomes is, already.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/11/24/21612080/patrick-mahomes-michael-jordan-tom-brady-goat-debate

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    it would have to be a QB, because that is the most important position. the best QB currently is Mahomes

100%

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it would have to be a QB, because that is the most important position

in some sort of way that makes sense, but in other ways it is illogical. it means that every MVP will be a QB, etc. which is sort of ridiculous. actually, we as fans aren't really in a good position to answer this question, it's one that gets hashed out by Coaches and players in meetings every week when they try to form a game-plan for the next opponent. certainly that collective is trying to figure out how to defense the QB and whoever/whatever he does, but they also are directed toward how to stop a specific player, guys like Aaron Donald on defense and Derrick Henry on offense.

to clarify that, during the Seattle Seahawks short stint at the top I suspect that Teams spent just as much time trying to work against Marshawn Lynch as they did against Russell Wilson, maybe even more. to me, that means what should be considered is the player(s) that have an affect on each Team they play during the season, so much of an affect that the game plan is designed around neutralizing them. strangely, that means that the most important thing about a QB takes the discussion away from them: the fact that they handle the ball on every offensive play.

looking at Aaron Donald, he requires 2-3 Offensive lineman on every play. Miles Garret doesn't get that attention because he's an end, but Teams need to be aware of where he's at every play, unless they want him to strip-sack the QB. a player that is now retired and in the HOF that qualifies is Dieon Sanders. the QB needed to know where he was on every play so that he didn't throw the ball in that area!!

I think there are QB's like Mahomes that could satisfy this question, but there are others who might answer it better.

Best players in the NFL THIS season in no particular order:
    Patrick Mahomes
    Derrick Henry
    Stefon Diggs
    Dalvin Cooks
    Aaron Donald
    Travis Kelsey

Honorable mention
    Josh Allen
    TJ Watt
    Myles Garrett
    Aaron Rogers

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 2:42PM

@craig44 said:

You better hope Dallasalwayswrongactuary doesn't see this.

He played flag football in middle school, and swears left guard is as important as the QB.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i hate questions like this, because if Patrick Mahomes had been drafted by the New York Jets his name would never make an appearance in this thread

Like Baltimore, Kansas City was a playoff team Before they drafted Mahomes. They traded up to draft him 10th. Mayfield has years of #1 draft choices around him. The team was just poorly managed so he also had a distinct advantage over Darnold. Buffalo was a perennial 8-8 team with mid round draft choices, dead weight free agents and constant rebuilding and management turnover. Still a tick better than the Jets. Arizona has talent, was poorly run and waisted draft choices. At least they now Buffalo and Arizona have a direction.

W.C.Fields
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 5:00PM

@galaxy27 said:
    i hate questions like this, because if Patrick Mahomes had been drafted by the New York Jets his name would never make an appearance in this thread

Maybe but if the Chiefs had Darnold instead of Mahomes
    we fans would have to wave bye bye to that Super Bowl win last year. And Super Bowl appearance.

It would be a lousy AFC west division, with the Raiders dominating every year.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

We have no idea how good Darnold could be. I think his career will be ruined before it starts. Injuries already are taking its toll. He’s about to go down the road of David Carr, Andrew Luck and Carson Palmer

W.C.Fields
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 6:28PM

@Darin said:

@galaxy27 said:

Maybe but if the Chiefs had Darnold instead of Mahomes
    we fans would have to wave bye bye to that Super Bowl win last year. And Super Bowl appearance.

It would be a lousy AFC west division, with the Raiders dominating every year.

i love Mahomes. i think he is a genuinely good dude and a hell of a signal caller. that said, it just annoys me when a quarterback receives -- what i perceive to be -- a disproportionate amount of the credit. the guy has so many weapons at his disposal it's beyond ridiculous. strip those skill-position studs from his arsenal and all of a sudden we aren't singing his praises quite as loudly.

when so much emphasis is placed on awards like the most valuable player, key cogs often times get lost in the shuffle. and that bothers me.

that's all i'm saying

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Best, or most valuable?

I'll put in another plug for Dalvin Cook. He almost never gets tackled by the first guy. During the loss to Dallas the Vikings looked like they would win the game until late in the game when they didn't have time to run the ball. He also catches the ball well and even blocks a little bit!

Mahomes is going to get most of the votes and deservedly so.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Best players in the NFL THIS season in no particular order:
    Patrick Mahomes
    Derrick Henry
    Stefon Diggs
    Dalvin Cooks
    Aaron Donald
    Travis Kelsey

Honorable mention
    Josh Allen
    TJ Watt
    Myles Garrett
    Aaron Rogers

Very good list right here.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 5:46AM

He's moved on from dominating the NFL, and Patrick Mahomes now has the current #1 selling MLB jersey, according to Fanatics.com.

Forget Bo...

Mahomes KNOWS!

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/25/kansas-city-chiefs-royals-whit-merrifield-patrick-mahomes-scheels-jerseys/

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mayfield has years of #1 draft choices around him.

actually, this isn't even close to being true unless you're in the locker room. the Browns have drafted heavily in the first round on the defensive side of the ball, with TE David Njoku(2017) and OT Jedrick Wills(2020) representing the "years of #1 draft choices) that surround him. intruth, aside from QB's and OL's the Browns have only drafted 2-3 players on the offensive side of the ball in 20 years. the players you'r imagining just don't exist.

Baker Mayfield's main problem is the following list:
    Hue Jackson
    Gregg Williams
    Freddie Kitchens
    Kevin Stefanski

since 2000, the Browns have had twice as many HC's as the Chiefs while the veritable "revolving door" continues to spin. the success, or lack thereof, for any QB is directly tied to the Head Coach. Kevin Stefanski seems to be a good fit in Cleveland with the only question being if the owner keeps him. Andy Reid is a good fit in Kansas City, good enough that he eventually would have won that Team a SuperBowl absent Patrick Mahomes who's ability and leadership only speeded up the timeline.

@keets My meaning was the Browns, because of poor management and poor choices of coaches have had high drafted year after year unlike an 8-8 team. But your point is spot on.

W.C.Fields
    edited November 26, 2020 8:21AM

How bad have the Browns been? From 2008-16 they had one season over 5 wins, 7 in 2014. After that they promptly won 3, 1, and zero. 34-126 in those years and finished dead last in their division every year except one.

W.C.Fields
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

If often is a QB, because the player at that position can have a greater effect on the outcome of a game than a player at any other position. But, the margin by which a QB can affect the game more than anyone else is very much smaller than most people think it is, and a QB still has to be great to be the most valuable player. MOST QBs in any season aren't among the 100 most valuable players in the league - Carson Wentz isn't among the top 1,000 - and in many years the most valuable player wasn't a QB. For a period of several years JJ Watt was the most valuable player in the league, but some random QB got the official award almost every year. The official MVP award goes to a QB at least twice as often as it should.

And it is true that Mahomes may be the most valuable player this year. It is also true that if Mahomes were playing for the Jets, and playing identically as well for the Jets as he is playing for the Chiefs, then he would also be the most valuable player. But, his chances of winning the official MVP with the Jets would be precisely 0%, and that ought to bother people who think MVP awards ought to mean something. Because right now, they don't.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.