Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

New NFC Technology

Hi all!

As I am fairly new in the collecting of American coins, and don't yet have 100's of them to worry about, I am thinking of trying to keep my whole collection in the new PCGS NFC Slabs.

I have about 36 that I am thinking of taking advantage of their offer and have them re-slabbed using this technology... What are your thoughts?

1. Would you pay more for a PCGS certified if it was NFC?

2. Do you think that there is any better level of security?

3. Would you be concerned with loosing Early Release, Anniversary, First Strike status?

4. Would you be worried about having the new grade dropped?

5. Do you think that using the NFC technology to determine if you want to make one purchase over another is a valuable criteria if all else is pretty much the same?

6. If you do something like this to any of your coins, would you add that to the cost of that individual coin, or would you just chalk it up to an expense of the hobby?

7. Do you use the True View image as the pic that you use in the registry or use your own?

8. With the coins I have to send in, I'm struggling a bit on filling out the paperwork... I have some just to 'Reholder', some to Crossover, a 'Variety Attribution' or two... do I keep the Reholders that are variety's separate from the ones that aren't?

9. Figuring out pricing is also a challenge. It looks like there are so many options, I really don't know what boxes to check. Will PCGS accept a form w/o the boxes checked and just let you know the cost?

10. When you have to have the CAC label reapplied, you need to submit a pic of the coin in the original slab to CAC who apparently will charge a nominal fee. Would the TrueView pic work?

I know that PCGS and CAC can answer some of these questions, but it would be good to know if any of you have first hand knowledge on those items... and opinions on all.

Thanx and Clear Skies!
Jeff

I mainly collect raw Ancients, PCGS Mercury Dimes, and raw CSA'S... but have misc other sets...Jeffhttps://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/215647https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/8378

Comments

• mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a PCGS coin already had a CAC the reholdered coin would have the same cert # so I don't believe CAC would need a photo of the slab if you are sending them the same coin with the same cert # to have the sticker re-applied.

I am also considering having some coins reholdered, mostly for the Trueview. In my opinion the Trueview is a better security feature than the NFC chip. The NFC chip is convenient for quickly looking up a coin at show or adding to your inventory but as far as security I haven't seen the benefits yet. Especially with a lot of online coin buying going on, the NFC chip doesn't help until you have received the coin in hand

Nice collection by the way. I've been looking for a 67FB or Proof 67 Mercury dime for my type set.

• PwrHseProPwrHsePro Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

I emailed CAC about that... they said that they didn't want to risk a different coin going into the new holder...

I have a 40-P and a 40-D both 67FB in my for sale inventory, but I'm not sure they have the eye appeal that a hard core collector would want... you can check them out... and if you get a chance, you can drop a comment on the set...

Thanx!

I mainly collect raw Ancients, PCGS Mercury Dimes, and raw CSA'S... but have misc other sets...Jeffhttps://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/215647https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/8378

I think you commented on my PCGS showcase a few weeks ago. I'll take a look at your sets

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2020 3:24PM
    1. Absolutely not
    2. No
    3. Absolutely YES
    4. When sending in for Reholder, the grade stays the same. Regrading is NOT included in that low Quarterly Special fee.
    5. Not at all.
    6. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
    7. True View
    8. Call PCGS to get the accurate answer. Coins getting Reholdered have to be on their own separate Submission form. Crossovers will need a separate form.
    9. Call PCGS so you don’t screw it up.
    10. If you’re only Reholdering, indicate clearly to PCGS to retain the same exact cert numbers. They will comply. Then CAC will AUTOMATICALLY reapply stickers to those identical cert numbers for just $3 each.

In my opinion, I reholder to get out of badly scratched holders and to get True Views. I recognize the advantage of NFC technology, and it’s nice, but that provides zero motivation to me to reholder. As noted in #1 and 3 above, if #3 applies to your coins, I suggest not proceeding with those losses. Your coins will then be tougher to sell down the road.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996