Home Q & A Forum

2000 penny that carries an DDR. What could this penny be worth???

TimbobbTimbobb Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 10:45AM

That one spot at the arrow? Looks like a plating bubble or possibly a die chip

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a plating blister > @JBK said:

That one spot at the arrow? Looks like a playing bubble or possibly a die chip

What's a playing bubble?

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a plating bubble that uses a device with a crappy autocorrect program >:)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    It's a plating bubble that uses a device with a crappy autocorrect program >:)

No matter how many thousands of times I have typed the word "coin", my phone still wants to auto-correct the word to "coun". What the heck is a "coun"? I Googled the word and it doesn't even exist. :/

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 12:26PM

I use an Amazon Fire occasionally and not only does the auto correct make me wonder if it's programmed for English, it has a habit of randomly changing words like OF to IF and OR to ON even when the are used correctly in a sentience ("I don't know if of my spell check is working"), I make enough typos as it is, I don't need the tablet to make more. :#

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • TimbobbTimbobb Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Platting bubble...lol... can’t be. No way.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a plating bubble or a die chip/crack. ;)

Even if it were a doubled die, minor varieties like this may sell in the $3 to $5 range. :/

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Could be a plating bubble or a die chip/crack. ;)

Even if it were a doubled die, minor varieties like this may sell in the $3 to $5 range. :/

I’m not looking to get rich. I’m just weird and like finding these minor varieties as well. So I set them aside. Maybe someone would like to have them even for there collection of every variety out there. Idk..lol.. but I have came across a lot of them over the time. Here another DDR that I just came across. Just piddling. And penny jar getting lower due to coin shortage..lol.. When I get done with the pennies I have left. I would like to start selling some coins that I have come across in the past year I have hunted. Some very interesting. And never knew that coins like this was going through my hands when I knew nothing about coins and the significance. Who knows what I ounce had in my hands and passed away. Just because I never knew. But here another 2000 penny. Interesting..

Another minor..lol..

Will pennies be limited now..

I understand the thrill of the hunt. ;)

It's fun to find different things on coins and it can teach you a great deal. I am going through a bunch of stuff that I saved from my early days of roll searching cents. I found & saved some good stuff. I also saved a bunch of stuff I thought was something and get a good laugh out of it. Keep searching and learning. :)

The last cent you posted has a die crack on the column. It may be a later die stage of your first coin in this post.

So these assuming DDR’s are not what they seem. So why are they listed as DDR if they actually are die breaks.

You are making a very good point and a strong argument. :)
    The first photo you posted may be one of the minor doubled dies.
    This is where the learning curve comes in. ;)
    Your second photo shows a ragged edge rather than a straight edge.

Variety Vista photo

Your photo

You would need to look at your coin and look for a continuation of the crack along the column like this.

You have the coin in hand and I only have a photo. I can't tell if there is a crack along the column. The ragged edge would suggest that your second photo is a crack. With all of these little doubled dies on the reverse someone has looked for the crack to see if it is a doubled die or a crack. That is where expert authentication comes in. Sometimes the experts make mistakes also.

I hope that helps rather than add to the confusion. ;)

edited November 24, 2020 1:44PM

Not seeing a die crack.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    You are making a very good point and a strong argument. :)
    The first photo you posted may be one of the minor doubled dies.
    This is where the learning curve comes in. ;)
    Your second photo shows a ragged edge rather than a straight edge.

Variety Vista photo

Your photo

You would need to look at your coin and look for a continuation of the crack along the column like this.

You have the coin in hand and I only have a photo. I can't tell if there is a crack along the column. The ragged edge would suggest that your second photo is a crack. With all of these little doubled dies on the reverse someone has looked for the crack to see if it is a doubled die or a crack. That is where expert authentication comes in. Sometimes the experts make mistakes also.

I hope that helps rather than add to the confusion. ;)

I'm not seeing it in your photos either.
    Some are very fine and you would need to get the light just right on it to get it to show.

Have you looked at it with a 10x or 16x loupe? Not your scope