Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Today’s value village find

Well I went back in today ( poured rain yesterday) picked up 2 signed books and a bag of bills from around the world. Here’s what I found for $5 .

Comments

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 8:21PM

ill post the dates of the bills as some are older and some newer once get the bills organized better.

The oldest are the Japanese government money (1943-1944) the rest of the world bills date from 1954-1998.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of them seem to be common notes but it is a good selection. Be very careful handling them as the uncirculated ones will easily be damaged by improper handling.

Well worth $5.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up for $5. Do you have a focus of your bank note odyssey? Wear cotton gloves as you want to get the crisp uncirculated notes into a binder without stains, latent prints, creases or worse. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

no particular focus at the moment.. i may if find more bills.. am mostly into sports but i grab the coins and bills when they show up at the 2nd hand shop near me. am waiting on bill sleeves to arrive from ebay at the moment but the mail is a tad slow showing up right now.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bad for $4.99 but I doubt if there is anything in there but very common notes. Most of the Unc. notes are probably inflation notes which were printed in huge numbers. I recall being at an ANA convention show back in the late 1980s or early 1990s at which a dealer had a table piled high with stacks of inflation notes from South American countries.

All glory is fleeting.

I figured they weren’t worth a lot. They still look nice though especially the patterned ones . Going to holder them once the sleeves arrive so the unc don’t get damaged.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... 5 bucks !!!

edited October 24, 2020 7:16AM

its why I like my value village.. i never know what i'll find .. ive found roman coins too.. ill post that soon . i played $6 for them. was 2 widows mite matted and framed.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

If nothing else they are colorful and artistic.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not too bad for $5.00 !!! 👍

Timbuk3
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the Value Village located? We don't have anything like them near me in the Philly area, and I RARELY see anything packaged in the way of paper money or coins (from another one of your posts?) in any second-hand, consignment, etc shops around here. Reminds me of the grab bags of stamps the old Woolworth's used to sell in their stamp/coin department way back in the 60's & 70's...............

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much fun for little $.

The Widows Mites and nice framing is a deal at $6, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

I thnk value village is canadian only unfortunatly .. its almost like goodwill but the store is 3-4 times the size and has glass displays out front for valuables and collectables .

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had a value village about a block from my home here in Greensboro North Carolina, but it closed down about a year ago. Here is a photo of it.

ah okies i didnt know any were in the states too

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    Where is the Value Village located? We don't have anything like them near me in the Philly area, and I RARELY see anything packaged in the way of paper money or coins (from another one of your posts?) in any second-hand, consignment, etc shops around here. Reminds me of the grab bags of stamps the old Woolworth's used to sell in their stamp/coin department way back in the 60's & 70's...............

I remember the stamp bags. They were always loaded with Franco stamps from Spain.

All glory is fleeting.

no bills or coins lately , ill have to keep looking .. we have 2 value villages in our city but so far nothing new.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, there's actually 300 of them, so there's probably a Value Village near you. There are a few 25-50 miles from me.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

None close to me, unfortunately........... sure would have a fun time going thru one of them!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

About Value Village
    Value Village, a Savers brand, is a for-profit, global thrift retailer offering great quality, gently used clothing, accessories and household goods.

Our Rethink Reuse® business model of purchasing, reselling and recycling gives communities a smart way to shop and keeps more than 700 million pounds of used goods from landfills each year. We also help more than 100 nonprofit organizations by purchasing donated goods from them, which provides a source of revenue to help supports their vital community programs and services. Our brands comprise of Savers (in the U.S. and Australia), Value Village (in the U.S. and Canada), Unique (in the U.S.), and Village des Valeurs (in Quebec).

All in all, we operate over 300 locations and have 21,000 employees

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date