Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Nolan Ryan Master set

Hi all, I am looking for some information. I have a Nolan Ryan Master set I'm building and am curious if anyone knows why the 1973 Topps Comic is part of his master set but the 1979 Topps Comics is no longer graded and only optional even though a handful were "authenticated" and graded. Thank you for any information.

Tagged:

Answers

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

You will never figure out why or why not PSA grades or doesn't grade stuff. You will never get an answer from them either, sorry. You have a better shot at a one on one in the Oval Office!! one of the top Ryan guys has a bunch of NLG items that are awesome and fun to look at..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

I believe a bunch of uncut rolls of 79 Comics were being cut and submitted. Instead of giving them the ol' "hand cut" designation they just stopped grading them altogether.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • BullJack13BullJack13 Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Jackstraw, NLG items are cool to look at and I am fairly certain I will not figure out why PSA did what they did.
    DavidPuddy, I could see that happening however the 1973 comics were never meant for distribution as they were only a test and some managed to "escape" the factory in unused form per PSA. A test issue that escaped unused from the factory and someone cutting off of an uncut roll don't seem that different to me. Both are unused items and neither has the H/C designation that I am aware of. There are plenty of decent grades for both of them and more 73 comics graded than the 79's but that perhaps is because PSA stopped grading the 79's IDK.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one believe the test issues should be in the Master sets.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BullJack13BullJack13 Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

I agree Joe.