Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin geek crackouts

Comments

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Now I have to find your "How to crack a coin out of an NGC slab" video.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a Cliff's Notes version of the results? I really don't feel like watching a half hour of some guy rotating coins and talking when the thread mentions interesting results.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a matter of fact, I'm watching Ben's latest video right now (WWII 24kt box opening). Hope to meet him at the ANA show in Phoenix next March.

Tim

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Is there a Cliff's Notes version of the results? I really don't feel like watching a half hour of some guy rotating coins and talking when the thread mentions interesting results.

I understand the frustration Tom, I generally do not watch video references.

The 1799 Dollar that PCGS called VF30 NGC body bagged due to "cleaning" though it had nearly XF details and some mint luster in protected areas. He did not score any real upgrades. I have seen coin dealers crunch numbers/values like machines. Ben is more a nice guy who tries to create a positive experience in the hobby.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to see Ben's biggest score, watch this - under 10 minutes and well worth it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odKsJY70azg

I saw that, excellent results, in most cases he is not so lucky, gets the same or lower grades or no grades.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bust dollar is just another example that shows even though a coin is in a straight graded holder, it doesn't mean it's problem free. On the flipside, a coin you buy in a problem holder can one day make it into a straight graded holder. Grading is subjective.

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I saw that, excellent results, in most cases he is not so lucky, gets the same or lower grades or no grades.

Hopefully YouTube revenue or increased website sales make up for the costs.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are all soothing videos to watch and I enjoy his honesty when it comes to strike outs and cheer for him on the homers! Without giving it away, those proof Franklins are fantastic! (I doubt PCGS would agree with the NGC grades though...).

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 6:36PM

Love these videos. Could watch them all day! Thanks for posting!!

FWIW-I didn't see the cleaning on the VF Draped Bust piece. I think it was an XF 40.

Regarding the 1919-S Lincoln cent---MS 64 is nothing to sneeze at and is a solid grade!!!

The 02 O Morgan had some nice toning, too. o:)

Sickening that he cracked the NGC 1885-S near gem fatty and it didn't even upgrade!!!

He struck out on the 1890-S, too.

I saw NO surface issues with the 1879-O, either.

Dude's batting average was NOT that good but videos were very entertaining. :)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Some crack out artist turned into pcgs a 55 gallon barrel full of PCGS slab labels he had cracked out through the years.
    I think PCGS paid $30,000 which he donated. Back then PCGS actually paid I think, 50 cents per slab label to keep the population reports correct.

I heard Mark Chrans--Visionary once was known for that; I once sent him some coins for his opinion on what might upgrade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file