Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ty cobb t206 ty cobb back king of tobacco smoking world

I have the opportunity to purchase the rare ty cobb with ty cobb king of tobacco world back. It looks beautiful and seller has remarkable background his big thing are his babe ruth cards. Is this really possible?

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

a lot of red cobb, cobb backs coming outta the woodsheds lately. pun most certainly intended. 😉

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Make sure its PSA graded.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post of pict. of it here before purchasing. If the price is to good to be true...... run away fast. If it not graded slim chance it is real.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know of any Ty Cobb- Ty Cobb backs that are not professionally graded. If a new one was discovered it surely would be big news.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go slow.

edited November 19, 2020 12:23PM

@2dueces said:
    I don’t know of any Ty Cobb- Ty Cobb backs that are not professionally graded. If a new one was discovered it surely would be big news.

I thought I heard rumblings that the original lucky 7 might have contained more. and seven were submitted possibly because of the number of heirs? I don’t smoke, but from what I do know, smokers are brand loyal. if gramps was partial to ty cobb brand, the stash could have been major. Imagine pack a day, pack a week type guy w ty cobb card being the only possible card? this was the premise of my joke above about them coming outta the woodshed. I think they were found in a barn-esque type structure along the ga/sc border close to where ty cobb was born and heralded. makes sense why the guy was partial to ty cobb brand and kept the stash of cards.

all I know is if I were lucky enough to stumble across a sack of wagners, I’d slow roll them out vs blowing up the pop report instantly over night.

the seven gets you financially stable while gauging and setting the market. then you have to figure that there are serious tax implications and things that would need to be set up properly which takes time. once all those vehicles are in place you can control supply while not destroying demand.

Ty Cobb backs were not distributed in packs. They were given to a select few at a meeting , or convention, are dinner for Ty Cobb. The Lucky Seven new find were graded.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not buy one that is not graded by PSA.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

edited November 19, 2020 1:24PM

@1959 said:
    Ty Cobb backs were not distributed in packs. They were given to a select few at a meeting , or convention, are dinner for Ty Cobb. The Lucky Seven new find were graded.

Definitive source or more info about this convention? A “select few” but one guy had 8 found in a brown paper bag?

btw: the lucky 7 has already been renamed the elite 8...after another one surfaced from the family 6 months after the original 7 were graded and a few were auctioned off. 😉

@1959 said:
    Ty Cobb backs were not distributed in packs. They were given to a select few at a meeting , or convention, are dinner for Ty Cobb.

• One of my absolute favorite pieces that I've worked. Cut common baseball cards....and yep, the barcode made from cut cards actually scans:

I cut baseball cards. Really. timcarrollart.com

Blurryface, Good points. I will research further on where I heard, read, or dreamed this theory. Until then you can put me the " this guys an idiot" pile. (my wife puts me there often). Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read.

@1959 said:
    Until then you can put me the " this guys an idiot" pile. (my wife puts me there often). Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read.

good. i was lonely in here by myself! 😉

What I do remember reading about the Cobb backs, was Cobb was voted Player of the Year (before MVP award). At the award ceremony a Cobb card was given to each guest in a Tin with Cobbs picture on the front. There was not many issued as it included a few writers and baseball executives , (believed to be less that 40). I read this theory many years ago. Long before the Lucky Seven find, so that theory may be wrong. But I do not think they were ever issued in regular tobacco packs. Goggle ty cobb card with cobb back and there are few questions about how these evolved. Net54 might have better information than I have. It's a interesting question in history and a subject unto itself.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I check the pop report. As far as the world knows there are NO ungraded Cobb-Cobb cards.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.