Home Sports Talk

Tua says he expected the NFL to be a lot harder

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tua opened up about his transition into the NFL recently and said "I expected it to be a lot harder, not that it isn't hard". He has been 3-0 since taking over for Fitz in week 8 and has tossed 5 TD passes. He has a passer rating of 104.8, and has yet to throw an interception.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/miami-dolphins/tua-shares-honest-thoughts-on-how-hard-the-nfl-is/amp

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling he'll be changing his someday.

Toro, toro!

edited November 18, 2020 4:47AM

Man, seeing those pass rush gifs reminds me of last Thanksgiving when I played football with some of the neighborhood middle school kids. I dominated their weak offensive line.

🤔

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a wise man once said ¨pride cometh before the fall¨

I dont think the NFL will turn out to be quite as easy as Tua thinks right now.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tua might end up being a great QB but he needs to get seasoned properly, it’s all fun and games and easier than he thought blah blah blah until he takes his first brutal NFL hit and has that 3 pick game while getting destroyed.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

i give his knee one more year or one more bad shot, he played hurt at bama and I expect some NFL shots on him to take their toll.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

They Dolphins did the right thing inserting him during the easy part of their schedule. There was a reason he didn’t start the first 6 games. That’s all I’ll say right now

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Tua against weak defense....

Tua against ferocious defense....

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I think a wise man once said ¨pride cometh before the fall¨

I dont think the NFL will turn out to be quite as easy as Tua thinks right now.

he is an idiot and will get schooled. Once opposing coaches get film on him they will make him see ghosts :#

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cut the kid some slack. Yes, what he said does sound a bit arrogant. However, remember he's a rookie and very young. What I think he was trying to say is that he just didn't know until now how truly great he actually is. He lacks perspective, is currently thrilled with himself, believes all the press hype, and doesn't realize that young athletes like himself are a dime a dozen. Time will tell.

this arrogant comment from Tua has really given me a reason to root against him. I always like to have some villains when i watch sports. He is just the newest one. I think the wrestling term is ¨heels¨

but to be fair the media has a way of trapping people into making comments like this just so they can use them against the guy later

Nope, it's too late, Tua is now officially a villain. He's going on my villain list, right underneath the wicked witch of the west!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

but to be fair the media has a way of trapping people into making comments like this just so they can use them against the guy later

absolutely this

if Adam Gase said we're gonna beat the Chiefs this weekend, ESPN would plaster it on the home page in 1,069 point verdana font

if he says we're gonna get castrated and disemboweled they would move on to what tom brady said about bill belly in his sleep

while it is true that the media can ask leading questions, I have never heard another rookie, 3 games into his career comment on how easy the NFL is. narcissism at its best.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    while it is true that the media can ask leading questions, I have never heard another rookie, 3 games into his career comment on how easy the NFL is. narcissism at its best.

He specifically said the NFL is hard.

edited November 18, 2020 7:07PM

If Tua has a cat, it's probably arrogant and a snob!

A dramatization of what Tua's cat probably looks like....

@doubledragon said:
    If Tua has a cat, it's probably arrogant and a snob!

A dramatization of what Tua's cat probably looks like....

this reminds me , last new years my resolution was to wear a monocle , that didn't last very long ;)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will admit that my first thought was to react negatively to his comment. But in all honesty it's probably him just not doing a very good job explaining his point. I think he was saying that, while the NFL is incredibly hard, he is shocked that things are coming so easy....etc. Nonetheless, he should not have said it. It is best to keep thoughts like that to yourself.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I expected it to be a lot harder"

this is the sort of stuff that opponents put up in locker rooms and tell players during meetings. it's akin to painting a target on his back and someone will nail it.......................hard.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Graig44, Where is the comment on how easy the NFL is?

This is all of what he said, not just part of it.
    "I expected it to be a lot harder," Tagovailoa said. "Not that it's not hard."
    "I would say I'm comfortable, but a lot of that starts from practice," Tagovailoa said. "Just being able to talk with our center, Ted (Karras), on Thursdays, going over our protections, just being able to talk to the O-line about what I'm thinking and then hearing from them what they're thinking, talking to the receivers, what we're thinking, and just kind of a combined thought process for all of us together to all kind of be on the same page. "I think that's where, you know, probably not just me, but everyone feels most comfortable is, it starts from practice and then it translates to the game."

....2nd and 26....a 45 yard dagger.

@Bullsitter said:

"I would say I'm comfortable, but a lot of that starts from practice," Tagovailoa said. "Just being able to talk with our center, Ted (Karras), on Thursdays, going over our protections, just being able to talk to the O-line about what I'm thinking and then hearing from them what they're thinking, talking to the receivers, what we're thinking, and just kind of a combined thought process for all of us together to all kind of be on the same page. "I think that's where, you know, probably not just me, but everyone feels most comfortable is, it starts from practice and then it translates to the game."

what does ¨i expected it to be a lot harder¨ insinuate? what about ¨I would say I´m comfortable¨?

I will answer for you. Tua seems to think that the NFL is fairly easy. otherwise, he wouldnt have made those statements.

I get it, it sounds like you are a big fan. thats fine. I just find this type of narcissistic statement off putting. A more humble person would speak differently. I am sure his quotes will look a bit different if he goes through a sophomore slump next year and starts getting beat down.

@craig44 said:

@Bullsitter said:

what does ¨i expected it to be a lot harder¨ insinuate? what about ¨I would say I´m comfortable¨?

I will answer for you. Tua seems to think that the NFL is fairly easy. otherwise, he wouldnt have made those statements.

I get it, it sounds like you are a big fan. thats fine. I just find this type of narcissistic statement off putting. A more humble person would speak differently. I am sure his quotes will look a bit different if he goes through a sophomore slump next year and starts getting beat down.

Exactly

Early in his career Tiger Woods won a tournament by a wide margin. He was ask if he played his best. Not even close was his answer. Even though he was the greatest in our lifetime he was ask to tone it down out of respect to his fellow competitors. Tua ain’t Tiger and he will be underneath some 370 lb lineman and he will be asked, still think it’s easy?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    Early in his career Tiger Woods won a tournament by a wide margin. He was ask if he played his best. Not even close was his answer. Even though he was the greatest in our lifetime he was ask to tone it down out of respect to his fellow competitors. Tua ain’t Tiger and he will be underneath some 370 lb lineman and he will be asked, still think it’s easy?

Yes, I remember Tiger decimating the field and saying something like "I didn't even have my A game today".

funny, the Game got a little "harder" this week and suddenly Tua is riding the pine pony. :p

IMO, Coach Flores is just giving Tua some tough love.

11-20 for 83 yards. NFL is definitely looking a little harder.

edited November 23, 2020 4:02AM

Coach Flores is just giving Tua some tough love.

not really, the "tough love" was those six sacks the Broncos laid on the Rookie, Flores was just saving his bacon before he ended up in surgery next to Joe Burrow. JMHO, both of those QB's have a bad habit of holding onto the ball in the pocket just a little too long, thinking they can work some College Magic. that only works for so long as yesterday proved for them both.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 5:19PM

It's Tua Time!

edited November 23, 2020 7:35AM

Message to Tua: After 6 sacks and a benching. Still think the the NFL is “easy”?

Welcome to the NFL rookie. 😂😂😂

Guess he didn’t bring his “A” game today.

Film and adjustments. Just ask Lamar.

W.C.Fields

Tua takes not only a seat but a seat for Ryan Fitzmagic 😂😂😂

I saw he got benched. Hilarious.

he will probably start next week, so the question becomes how he responds. luckily, that is a moot point since the Dolphins play the New York Jets!! :p

@keets said:
    he will probably start next week, so the question becomes how he responds. luckily, that is a moot point since the Dolphins play the New York Jets!! :p

Of course he’ll start against the Jets. I don’t care what Flores says this is an audition to see if Tua is the future. Yesterday he flubbed his lines and they brought in the understudy for the 2nd act.

W.C.Fields