Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA 10 Muhammad Ali poppage

picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Happy to say the least.
Got this in person in 87.
Horizon card Beautiful full signature.

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous auto! You should get the card graded/noted also, as that's the much rarer "Olympic Rings" variation w/a total pop of 11 non-auto'd currently (compared to ~700 of the regular 83T Greatest Olympians). That would be the first auto'd.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Gorgeous auto! You should get the card graded/noted also, as that's the much rarer "Olympic Rings" variation w/a total pop of 11 non-auto'd currently (compared to ~700 of the regular 83T Greatest Olympians). That would be the first auto'd.

Oh wow.. I didn't even know there was a variation !
    The reason I didn't get the card itself graded is because it's a touch-off center so I knew it wouldn't grade a 10.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 1:11PM

@picklepete said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Oh wow.. I didn't even know there was a variation !
    The reason I didn't get the card itself graded is because it's a touch-off center so I knew it wouldn't grade a 10.

It shouldn't matter with that one. Most have the red/white/blue stars in the upper left like this ...

ETA: Even not going for a card grade and just Auth would at least get the "Olympic Rings" notation. It could very well be a 1/1.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 1:17PM

That image was also used on his M&Ms Olympian card and on his 1983 Hostess hand cut card that came on boxes of Twinkies.

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing card. Just beautiful.

I worked with Ali once. A poster a did with him is in the Smithsonian. He was one of those people with such a presence, I could have been blindfolded and probably guessed when he entered the room. This photo is of us from 1999.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 2:06PM

congrats! even though these are the exact flips that drive me crazy being an autograph collector myself.

for the novice, the flip is easily translatable to the card being graded a 10 when in fact the card, as it stands, isnt even guaranteed authentic. obviously it is in this case. slippery slopes, though.

eta: the fact it's sitting on what appears to be a trimming apparatus is a whole other can of worms.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you sent this in as just a straight autograph grading submission and not a Dual Grade (card and Auto) submission as the flip doesn't specify what the card is from..

Being that the card is not going to get graded an 8 or 9, I'd personally just get it graded authentic. I don't see any reason ever to not submit an autographed card for Dual Grade service since you can at least get the card graded as authentic and properly notated on the flip.

How does it work when you submit a PSA encased auto card for dual grade service and not a crossover/review. Will they crack it out of the case for the submitter? In this case, is it still dual service when the auto part has already been graded. Guess it's $50 min to get it sent in again though.

edited November 13, 2020 2:11PM

just have to pay the card grade fee since the auto has already been verified and graded.

you have to sub it as a crossover though.

at least that's how it used to be. havent subbed an auto in a while.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    just have to pay the card grade fee since the auto has already been verified and graded.

you have to sub it as a crossover though.

at least that's how it used to be. havent subbed an auto in a while.

Correct.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Which one is you?

@blurryface said:
    congrats! even though these are the exact flips that drive me crazy being an autograph collector myself.

for the novice, the flip is easily translatable to the card being graded a 10 when in fact the card, as it stands, isnt even guaranteed authentic. obviously it is in this case. slippery slopes, though.

eta: the fact it's sitting on what appears to be a trimming apparatus is a whole other can of worms.

Dude.. I've had that card since 1987 when I got it, retired now, family has no interest.
    So I move some now.
    Not some money grab, you just have to have PSA/BGS to facilitate moving them.
    And my buddy has a frame shop & we took a pic !
    Know some facts before u even go there !

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:

@blurryface said:

Dude.. I've had that card since 1987 when I got it, retired now, family has no interest.
    So I move some now.

In this case “flip” means label. No need to get upset.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@DBesse27 said:

@picklepete said:

@blurryface said:

So I move some now.

In this case “flip” means label. No need to get upset.

Then sorry..
    I'm new to this part of the hobby.
    There should be a user's manual for graded card lingo and stuff for us to know about ..LOL

Saying first hand. Ali loved that !
    They told me to get a picture, and I leaned in towards Ali and he grabbed me by the collar and put his fist up and I put my fist up to his face, he got a kick out of that.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:
    Saying first hand. Ali loved that !
    They told me to get a picture, and I leaned in towards Ali and he grabbed me by the collar and put his fist up and I put my fist up to his face, he got a kick out of that.

I met George Foreman at a publicity event back in 1990. The cameramen all insisted that we posed a few different ways with our fists up in a boxing stance, and they even had local TV footage of me "landing" a punch to his jaw. I think boxers just naturally like to play around and pose that way.

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@MDLB said:

@Copyboy1 said:
    Amazing card. Just beautiful.

I worked with Ali once. A poster a did with him is in the Smithsonian. He was one of those people with such a presence, I could have been blindfolded and probably guessed when he entered the room. This photo is of us from 1999.

oh my gawd. Ali's brain was thinking.. 'i'd go to prison If I reacted to this little bmonkey' Why oh why did you pull off a pose like that for a pic. Neato. Was it not embarrassing after you did that ? It's Ali for kriste's sake..

The funny thing is, the first shot I have is us just side by side. He's the one who grabbed my arm and pulled it up to his jaw. (That's why his arm is positioned where it is. He was just letting go and bringing it down when the photo was taken.)

He was a total jokester. Spent the whole shoot doing magic tricks and practical jokes. We did a crew shot at the end, and I was kneeling in the row in front of him. Right before the photo, he reached down and messed up my hair.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love story’s like this. Great post guys!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited November 14, 2020 4:26AM

@picklepete said:

@blurryface said:

So I move some now.

Then sorry..
    I'm new to this part of the hobby.
    There should be a user's manual for graded card lingo and stuff for us to know about ..LOL

no offense taken bc it precisely proves my point. no harm no foul.

ok.. I just filled out submission form as cross over, it's going to calif to get card authenticated and labeled correctly w/ Rings variation.
    Have to spend some extra $$ but worth it in the end.
    Thx to all..