Home Sports Talk

The Trevor Lawrence draft thread. Would you?

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 11, 2020 11:02AM in Sports Talk

There is little doubt the top 2 picks will be Lawrence #1 and Justin Fields #2. Of these teams draft in the 1 or 2 spot what do you do? Only in the top 2 spots.
Jets. No doubt the draft Trevor. If you’re a team in need of a QB what do you give for Sam Darnold?
I say a #2 and two #3’s. We have no idea how good he’ll be but he’s worth a 2.
Jacksonville. No brainer
Now it gets tougher
Dallas. Draft a QB for $9M a year or sign Dak at $40M
Giants?
Washington?
Put on your GM hats and tell me what you do. I’ll give my opinions on all later on when everyone has a chance to opine.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

When my team (Rams) doesn't have a top 15 pick for the next 12 years plus a period of gestation, it's hard to be knowledgeable about top draft picks.

Oh, it's so worth it though, we ended up with a pylon who can't throw effectively over 20 yards.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you asking what we would do or what we think these teams will do? Or both perhaps...

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

My concern about Dak is how well he will recover from that injury. Is he going to be able to return to form? That's the $40 million question.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Are you asking what we would do or what we think these teams will do? Or both perhaps...

What would you do? Do you move on from your existing QB or take a bunch of draft picks?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

these two QB's, Lawrence and Fields, are closer in size than they appear when viewed during games. at 6'3", Fields is only three inches shorter than Lawrence but listed as being almost 10 pounds heavier. I think both players would need to get closer to 235 for the sake of durability in the NFL, but both are accurate and strong passers. I think it would be easier to "Coach" Lawrence into running less while Fields seems somewhere between Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson, a guy who will and probably should run when he can.

if I had the pick I would take Trevor Lawrence. he strikes me as being a bit like Tom Brady except that he can run pretty good when he needs to.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously, the correct choice is to take a Rutgers kicker with the #1 pick to use in negotiations for Cam Newton and the next 7 Pats first-round picks.

@keets said:
    these two QB's, Lawrence and Fields, are closer in size than they appear when viewed during games. at 6'3", Fields is only three inches shorter than Lawrence but listed as being almost 10 pounds heavier. I think both players would need to get closer to 235 for the sake of durability in the NFL, but both are accurate and strong passers. I think it would be easier to "Coach" Lawrence into running less while Fields seems somewhere between Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson, a guy who will and probably should run when he can.

if I had the pick I would take Trevor Lawrence. he strikes me as being a bit like Tom Brady except that he can run pretty good when he needs to.

If you’re the Jets with the 1st pick do you still take Lawrence and trade Darnold? What do you ask for Darnold. If you’re the Cowboys?
    My question isn’t who to pick it’s if you run the team , Jets, Jaguars, Cowboys what do you do?

W.C.Fields

If I'm Dallas, my choice would depend on draft position. If I can somehow trade up to first, I take Lawrence and get Dak to agree to sign another tag with the caveat that he will go to a team of his liking for a haul in return. I use the return picks on defense. If I can't get Lawrence, I hope that Dak wants to still sign here. But worst case scenario I tag him again.

edited November 11, 2020 3:33PM

If I'm Washington, I would want Lawrence also. And I would take Fields but not trade up for him. If I'm a team that needs a QB, I'm not excited enough about Darnold to give up too much. Maybe a three this year and a two next. I'm serious. That might even be too much.

Edited a word

If I'm the Jets, I definitely mess this up, even if I can get Lawrence and trade Darnold, I pee away the picks and make sure Lawrence is seeing ghosts by 2022.

If I'm the Pats 😜😂 I seriously consider trading for Dak. I like Dak. I love the Pats. I think it would work.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

pick Lawrence and dump Darnold for whatever the market decides he's are worth. FWIW, I believe it will be a choice the Jets will be making, and I never placed much stock in Sam Darnold. I would ask this: why does Darnold get a pass for being little better than average with the excuse that "he doesn't have much to work with?" as a Browns fan, I could do an entire dissertation on any number of QB's that never had that excuse and had less to work with.

Sam Darnold's strength is his greatest weakness --- he is a classic, drop back pocket passer from the past. to be an even moderately successful QB in today's NFL you need to be able to run effectively or be Tom Brady. it's a different league.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fields is the best player in college football. And he has elite speed.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I’m the Jets I’m absolutely taking Lawrence and sitting him his first year, then going all out on OL and revamping my WR corps, I’m taking the earliest pick for Darnold or the best OL/WR for him in trade.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

These elite QBs play on elite college teams. How will they play when they are on some of the worst NFL teams? There are many QBs who will be the "franchise QB" for years to come that end up being a backup. In the choice between Fields and Lawrence, who can think quickly, get rid of the ball before he takes a big hit, throwing to the proper receiver.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming they don't stick around for another college year, Fields is my pick before Trevor next year but I'd expect Trevor to go first. Jets getting pick one could sway both to go for senior years.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the whole draft is stupid . Lawrence goes to the Jets hes out of the league in 3 years. Garbage teams should not get the top pick there should be a damn lottery . Why do the jets need a great QB ? Darnald might not be the guy but he is better than this! That bum in the giants is better than he plays too. Foul suck teams are like QB vampires , they destroy the kids before they can even begin.

Jets need real ownership , kinda like dallas , some diseases don't have a cure. The boss rarely fires himself even when its the obvious answer.

Speaking of ownership , what is the deal with the texans? the texans will be worse than the jets a year from now its breathtaking whats going on there. You could say the wheels fell off it but , most things only have 4 wheels to fall off , Texans have a dozen wheels fall off and its not over :D

@bronco2078 said:
    the whole draft is stupid . Lawrence goes to the Jets hes out of the league in 3 years. Garbage teams should not get the top pick there should be a damn lottery . Why do the jets need a great QB ? Darnald might not be the guy but he is better than this! That bum in the giants is better than he plays too. Foul suck teams are like QB vampires , they destroy the kids before they can even begin.

Jets need real ownership , kinda like dallas , some diseases don't have a cure. The boss rarely fires himself even when its the obvious answer.

Speaking of ownership , what is the deal with the texans? the texans will be worse than the jets a year from now its breathtaking whats going on there. You could say the wheels fell off it but , most things only have 4 wheels to fall off , Texans have a dozen wheels fall off and its not over :D

Because of O’Brien the Texans have no draft choices and no cap space. He left that team for dead for at least 3 years.

W.C.Fields
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@bronco2078 said:

Because of O’Brien the Texans have no draft choices and no cap space. He left that team for dead for at least 3 years.

ya him but who is this loon that is running it now? JJ Watt wants out?

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    These elite QBs play on elite college teams. How will they play when they are on some of the worst NFL teams? There are many QBs who will be the "franchise QB" for years to come that end up being a backup. In the choice between Fields and Lawrence, who can think quickly, get rid of the ball before he takes a big hit, throwing to the proper receiver.

Well Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert are having outstanding seasons.
    Sometimes a trial by fire is the best way to go.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.