Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone ever sent a complete unopened wax box to PSA for pack grading ??

Do they even accept that and how much did it cost ?? What % of 10's did you receive ?

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I know that’s not an option.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

my guess is yes.

1. cost? 36 x current pack grading price.
    2. percentage of 10s? impossible to answer
    3. would i get the box back? i doubt it.
    4. should i do it? no.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be an interesting exercise but an expensive one if its a 1980 or earlier box as 36 packs would cost $1,440 to grade plus shipping.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

But..... If the unopened box you sent in was also guaranteed untampered with & BBCE wrapped - would that fact have some positive effects on the individual pack grades? Depending on the product, might be worth a try if you've got the $$.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:
    But..... If the unopened box you sent in was also guaranteed untampered with & BBCE wrapped - would that fact have some positive effects on the individual pack grades? Depending on the product, might be worth a try if you've got the $$.

It would guarantee authenticity of the packs but not the grades. Each pack would still be graded based on its condition.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 3:08PM

@thehallmark said:

would you blindly grab a stack of cards and sub for grading? same concept. a bbce wrapped box does not ensure 9s and 10s on every pack. just like opening a fresh pack outta any box, even a 2020 topps, doesn't ensure every card outta it is gonna grade a 10.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@thehallmark said:

would you blindly grab a stack of cards and sub for grading? same concept. a bbce wrapped box does not ensure 9s and 10s on every pack. just like opening a fresh pack outta any box, even a 2020 topps, doesn't ensure every card outta it is gonna grade a 10.

You could send a pack of cards, ask PSA to open it and grade each card. This way they'd know 100% that the cards were pack fresh.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heck, why not just send them a BBCE sealed FASC vending box and let the chips fall where they may. Guessing there would be at least 30 PSA 4s and a ton of 6s (or equivalent with qualifiers).

For pack or singles grading, I think they would only do it if given specific authorization to make your intentions clear, but once they've got the OK, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. Otherwise, I think it would just end up in the "Problem Orders" bucket.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020 11:55AM

@LarkinCollector said:
    Heck, why not just send them a BBCE sealed FASC vending box and let the chips fall where they may. Guessing there would be at least 30 PSA 4s and a ton of 6s (or equivalent with qualifiers).

If PSA did this and designated on the flip the provenance it provides would demand a premium. It would essentially be an assured unaltered card. I paid a bit more for this card because of the provenance and I am sure a designated straight from vending or straight from pack on a flip would demand a premium over a card with the same grade (like from a sealed case demands a premium on boxes). I do not think PSA would do this though, because grading the card should already guarantee it is unaltered.