Home Sports Talk

This is why I'm not a sport's agent

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would've never thought of this:

LeBron James has already received his 2020-21 salary in full from the Lakers, which is $39,219,565. The King is one of the few stars in the NBA who gets his contract front-loaded, as that has been something Rich Paul and Klutch Sports have pushed for with their high-profile clients.

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-the-reason-lebron-james-changed-his-position-on-dec-22nd-start-date-after-initial-resistance/

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had that much money, I would live on eBay. Oh yeah, I forgot, I already live on eBay! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eBay!!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the article.

Even without getting into any discussion about ideas such as the exorbitant salaries or possible personal money mismanagement, I would need more information to understand the implied motivation of Lebron. The way I read it, he was against the quick turn around for reasons of his recovery/health/etc , but when he considered that he already got all of his money for next season anyway, ......he felt like he might as well just get it started as soon as possible. Am I missing something?

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tax planning on the King's part.

Get paid it all this year and avoid having it taxed at a higher rate next year.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I read the article.

Even without getting into any discussion about ideas such as the exorbitant salaries or possible personal money mismanagement, I would need more information to understand the implied motivation of Lebron. The way I read it, he was against the quick turn around for reasons of his recovery/health/etc , but when he considered that he already got all of his money for next season anyway, ......he felt like he might as well just get it started as soon as possible. Am I missing something?

LeBron got paid a full season worth of salary at the beginning of last season but didn't play a full season. Thus, he owes the Lakers a nice chunk of change. So he wants the next season to get started to get the dough to pay what he owes.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@thisistheshow said:
    I read the article.

LeBron got paid a full season worth of salary at the beginning of last season but didn't play a full season. Thus, he owes the Lakers a nice chunk of change. So he wants the next season to get started to get the dough to pay what he owes.

Thank you. Forgot about that. Seems obvious now.

Still, why would he suddenly be less concerned with his ability to rest sufficiently before less season? Everything we see to know about him (only cares about winning, money is no issue because of wealth) should suggest that this would not guide his decision. Either there are other players in the same boat who need the money, or he is putting the money before his recuperation. Is this correct?

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

Still, why would he suddenly be less concerned with his ability to rest sufficiently before less season? Everything we see to know about him (only cares about winning, money is no issue because of wealth) should suggest that this would not guide his decision. Either there are other players in the same boat who need the money, or he is putting the money before his recuperation. Is this correct?

Yeah, don't think it through too hard. The logic doesn't really hold up. And are we really to believe Lebron doesn't have a couple million laying around that he could have given them?

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

The oppression continues

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.