Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who's image is on more coins worldwide?

MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be Abe Lincoln who is on literally millions of pennies or Queen Elizabeth II who appears on the coinage of at least 35 different countries -

I haven't dug into the mintage numbers to find out but I'm guessing Queen Elizabeth - Or is there someone else that I'm missing?

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to say Queen Elizabeth hands down. From my educated guess. President Lincoln only sets on the cent and a few commemoratives. Queen Elizabeth is on all denominations in many different countries and for a lot of years, sine the 1950s.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    I would have to say Queen Elizabeth hands down. From my educated guess. President Lincoln only sets on the cent and a few commemoratives. Queen Elizabeth is on all denominations in many different countries and for a lot of years, sine the 1950s.

She became Queen in 1952 so we're talking about 68 years of coinage with portrait. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Batman23 said:

She became Queen in 1952 so we're talking about 68 years of coinage with portrait. :o

I'll bet it will be a long time, if ever, before anyone comes anywhere close.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Interesting question. Could be Lincoln. You've got 100+ years on a coin that has 5-10 billion made every year.

By comparison, British pennies only have mintages of 250 million per year. Canada cents were also running at 250 million per year before they stopped making them. Australia runs about half that. Other Commonwealth countries would be pretty small by comparison.

If I'm bored, I might start adding them up.

Sure, but don't forget to add in the nickels, dimes, quarters, halves, loonies, twoonies, pounds, commemoratives, etc. etc...

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 8:44AM

Hands down, no doubt Queen Elizabeth I would wager by a factor of 10!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 9:08AM

My initial guess was QEII but now I think Abe Lincoln might be the winner.

QEII has more variety and reach, but Abe has raw mintage.

I suspect that on an annual basis right now (and for a very long time in the past), Lincoln beats the Queen.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would probably be between QEII and Abe. Abe has had multi billion coins minted for many decades now and QEII has longevity and multiple nations. Probably a matter of someone doing the math.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 9:49AM

i'd think good 'ol abe would take it by the billions as well.

i think i recall some german coins putting up some big numbers but those are almost all motifs, not likenessess. iirc

my prelim numbers on abe is 569,342,216,447 (half trill) - from 1909-2018. tired of looking for 19/20 mintage figures.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, it’s amazing when you think over a half trillion Lincoln cents have been minted. It’s almost mind boggling.

• Options

I think just the UK coinage would exceed good ole Abe much less when you consider all the colonial issues...Canada might even surpass good ole Abe! You have to consider Queen Elizabeth has been on every denomination of coin produced! Heck, just the UK decimal coinage would probably take the finish line!

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    i'd think good 'ol abe would take it by the billions as well.

i think i recall some german coins putting up some big numbers but those are almost all motifs, not likenessess. iirc

my prelim numbers on abe is 569,342,216,447 (half trill) - from 1909-2018. tired of looking for 19/20 mintage figures.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 10:27AM

Certainly not Pete Townshend or Daltrey.
    ;)
    I would say Abe beats QE2 by a factor of at least 5x.
    I would guess without doing any math or research that more Lincoln Cents have been minted than all other US coins since 1793 combined.
    It is also likely that more Lincoln Cents have been minted than the total of all British Empire coins in their history (say....since reliable mintage figures exist.)

• Options
    edited November 8, 2020 10:30AM

@amwldcoin said:
    I think just the UK coinage would exceed good ole Abe much less when you consider all the colonial

i need to have open 2 very big files open to do some general calcs. finding numbers online is possible but not as easy as i previously thought. the world pdf are nice but big in megabytes. guess i'll do em one at a time.

i did add up the 1948-2000 german federal republic 1 pfennig and it only clocked out at 15 bil or so. even though it doesnt have a likeness, just want to get a feel for these types of calculations w/o having to calculate. based our numbers (i kept my spreadsheet), i can glance to see whom might be close or have first place.

ya, i've seen a lot of victoria. it is almost spooky to track wars/leading nations or whatever by how many countries coinage they appear on.

the uk coinage may not be as high since they switched over to the euros. not to many if any likeness on that coinage and since it is modern, that is where the big numbers would be. i presume. i'll post a % for abe on modern 2000- vs 1909-2000.

anyone working on another country feel free to post here so we dont' double up efforts.

so abe from 2000-2018 (since i don't have the 19/20 numbers yet) represent 33% of the mintage. probably will be closer to 37 with the updated numbers.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine it would be pretty easy to compare. Only a few countries issue coins of any amount of coins that matter when we're talking billions.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    the uk coinage may not be as high since they switched over to the euros.

They never switched to Euros.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    the uk coinage may not be as high since they switched over to the euros.

They never switched to Euros.

you're right. i was thinking EU mainland.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2020 10:37AM

not seeing ANY victoria on modern uk coinage. i shoulda picked up on that as i have several newer issues. newer being 1998 forward from the royal mint website. but now it seems i do recall seeing victoria on some pence or pound coins. hmm

also it seems i need to consider elizabeth as well. this may take a while to untangle.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2020 10:38AM

Queen Victoria passed away in 1901. Elizabeth II is still on many coins.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

How bout Elvis? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's gotta be QEII.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 11:56AM

There are those who have commented on QE appearance being on the most coinage, and you can count me among them.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely, probably, maybe, possibly, Queen Elizabeth II. Not only on many countries for 68 years but also on most of the denominations, if not all. Having said that thou, it may be Lincoln. :|

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t forget QEII also shows up on bullion coins as well, so all those maple leafs, Britannia’s, koala etc have her image, along with commems and special issues

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

...Whose...

I’m going with The Queen.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, at first I definitely thought of Queen Elizabeth II...........But then Lincoln popped up and I thought Hmmmmm Maybe.....................But Maybe to get a definite answer we should ask this guy

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

Siri doesn't know!

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow this is a great question. Sure she’s been on every denomination in the monarchy since 1952 but Abe has been on every cent since 1909. Look at the population of Australia and some of these tiny little colonies I would think five years of high Abe production would wipe those numbers out.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

QEII, followed by Victoria.

thefinn
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's gotta be QEII.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

QEII's very first portrait on a numismatic object was in 1935 when she graced the Bank of Canada $20 as a then 9 year old princess that was a mere third in line to the throne.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Siri doesn't know!

next up Queen Alexa I

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one looked at enough deep cameo proofs they just might have The Queen beat

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 269 ✭✭✭✭

@OldEastside said:
    Wow, at first I definitely thought of Queen Elizabeth II...........But then Lincoln popped up and I thought Hmmmmm Maybe.....................But Maybe to get a definite answer we should ask this guy

Steve

That hurts...I remember when the ad was new. :(

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Interesting question. Could be Lincoln. You've got 100+ years on a coin that has 5-10 billion made every year.

By comparison, British pennies only have mintages of 250 million per year. Canada cents were also running at 250 million per year before they stopped making them. Australia runs about half that. Other Commonwealth countries would be pretty small by comparison.

If I'm bored, I might start adding them up.

Sure, but don't forget to add in the nickels, dimes, quarters, halves, loonies, twoonies, pounds, commemoratives, etc. etc...

Yes, but the mintage decreases with the increase in denomination.

• Options

@thefinn said:
    QEII, followed by Victoria.

Modern mintages are much higher than Victorian mintages. I would be very surprised if there weren't more Abes than Victorias.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2020 7:43PM
  • Options

There's a little over 10 billion UK decimal cents (post-1968).

I think Abe's going to win this one.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2020 7:50PM

According to the Royal Mint, there are only 29 billion UK coins circulating. Again, this doesn't include pre-decimal coinage and the demonetized pound coins. But that's only 15 years of coinage (1953-1968).

https://www.royalmint.com/corporate/circulating-coin/uk-currency/mintages/

Abe must be pushing 450 billion if you include wheat cents.

I'm still going with Abe.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, a half-trillion Lincolns. 57 for every person on the planet.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Yup, a half-trillion Lincolns. 57 for every person on the planet.

It does give you some perspective on the sheer volume of that coin...and we lose money on everyone they make.

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial reaction it has to be the Queen. But it has been a difficult number to figure out. And given the total of Lincoln cents above, I am no longer sure. 35 countries have coins with the Queen. But a closer look at the list of countries, some of these are relatively small.

The following countries have issued coinage with The Queen's image: Canada, Bahamas, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, East Caribbean States, Jamaica, Turks Caicos, Falkland Islands, St. Helena, Tristan da Cunha, South Africa, Rhodesia, East Africa, Nigeria, Mauritius, Seychelles, Hong Kong, Malaya British Borneo, Australia, New Zealand, Tokelau, Fiji, Kiribati, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, and the UK.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    Does Lincoln get double credit for appearing twice on every Memorial cent?

:D
    Checkmate.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Queen Elizabeth II gets my vote. Many Countries, many denominations and a very long reign.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I was getting ready to agree that it must be Abe and then I pulled up this article. With jmlamzaf's research putting the penny mintages at around 450 billion, It makes me wonder if the article below is correct.

Category: Articles
    Author Name: Louis Golino
    Posted: 01-17-2017 03:45:00 PM
    Few people have had as much of an influence on coinage and numismatics as Queen Elizabeth II. Her face has been present on the obverse of commonwealth coins all over the world for over 60 years. Explore the history and influence of her Majesty in numismatics.
    It can be argued that no living person has had a greater impact on numismatics than Queen Elizabeth II. This is especially true in terms of volume, since she has appeared on more coins than anyone else. She has also appeared on coins from more countries than any other individual. As a result, her face has graced billions of circulating, commemorative, and non-circulating legal tender coins over the course of her reign.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options

I just realized that he stated Queen Elizabeth ll has appeared on more coins than anyone else, but that doesn't mean that the mintage numbers are higher. I'm sticking with Honest Abe.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'm going to go with Lincoln. The mint is still clicking off 7 billion Zincolns each year, with half a trillion in the rear view mirror. The three largest countries with QEII on all their coins, GB, Canada, and Australia, no longer issue coinage of equivalent denomination as our cent. The 1982 cents, with 16 billion made, might come close to outnumbering all of Australia's QEII coinage by itself.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that we have a higher population and larger economy than all of those countries combined (by a decent margin). She’s on a ton, and definitely the living person on the most coins, but half a trillion is astronomical. I would also think that we’ve made more fivers than the currency she’s been put on, but that’s probably for a different forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file