Home Sports Talk

The ESPN purge

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, it is what it is. I was one who stopped watching ESPN when they turned into a political opinion network a number of years ago. however, I have come back now that politics has been put on the back burner for ESPN. I have already gotten rid of directv and replaced with youtubetv. saved about $75 a month.

television is moving more and more towards a la carte viewing. just let me pay to watch the 6 or so networks I actually want and i will happily not pay for the 100 others i never ever watch.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep I haven’t watched ESPN in years, as others have said they got way too political for me. I hope they fold all together to be honest, although I do feel bad for the people that are just doing their jobs that are now unemployed.

I will add that back in the day there was nothing I enjoyed watching more than ESPN though

• MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

There's a lot of animosity towards what ESPN has done,, supported and continues to do. I don't support them because of some of the personalities they have/had. They have removed a lot of the ones I liked and listened to for years.
    I always turned on ESPN for my morning drive, I thought the Mike and Mike show was the best one they had and even after Greenie left I thought it was still good. The recent transition doesn't work for me. I haven't listened to them since.
    They also charge for a lot of their content and act like we can't get the same info somewhere else. The only time I turn ESPN on is if there's a game playing. Still sucks for the 300+ whir are getting laid off or not renewed.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm too cheap to buy cable. Heck, I'm too cheap to buy a new antenna, I just make my own antenna.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say, the only thing I watch on espn that isn't an actual sport event is college gameday. The rest of it went to crap years ago as stated by everyone else here.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stopped watching ESPN and will never go back. It’s harder to win back customers than make new ones.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

ESPN (Ex-Sports Political Network)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I will add that back in the day there was nothing I enjoyed watching more than ESPN though

There was definitely a time, as you say back in the day, when ESPN was prime watching for me. To get highlights like that all in one place was great.

@doubledragon said:
    I'm too cheap to buy cable. Heck, I'm too cheap to buy a new antenna, I just make my own antenna.

I don't have any cable or satellite. I have internet. I have an antenna. I can stream games. And any tv/movie I want to watch, my kids know how to find online.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped watching back when it was the Brett Favre network.
    Favre would retire and then unretire every year and ESPN would cover it 24/7
    like it was the greatest sports story in the history of the world.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2020 5:21PM

@Darin said:
    I stopped watching back when it was the Brett Favre network.
    Favre would retire and then unretire every year and ESPN would cover it 24/7
    like it was the greatest sports story in the history of the world.

yeah but that's not just an ESPN thing, that's a 24 hour sports network everywhere thing. When there is a down news cycle, I'm sure ESPN is still the Tom Brady/Belichick/Patriots/Cowboys/Jerry Jones/LeBron/whatever NBA story is generating social media buzz that day network. But it's the same in Canada with TSN and Sportsnet too. When there's a down news cycle, they start talking about who will make the following year's (national) World Junior team (and these are kids, not even professionals). I'm sure it's the same in the UK with Sky Sports and the English Premier League. Undoubtedly right now there's probably a 2 hour show devoted to when (Manchester United's manager) Solskjær is going to be fired.

But the problem with ESPN is, at least IMO, if you hate the talking head/fake debate shows, and you're more into baseball or hockey than the NBA or NFL, there's no reason to ever watch ESPN aside from the Sunday night baseball game, or a Monday Night Football game. They've just abandoned sections of their audience and they generally cater to whatever rights package they've paid for....and in some cases, they've bid against themselves in some of those carrier rights packages.

They lost their way along with 50% of their most loyal fan base. Too bad. The days of Stewart Scott, Chris Burman and the rest of the true sportscaster made way to opinions crammed down the viewers throats. No thanks. If I want the real world outside sports I’ll find it somewhere else than a so called 24 hour SPORTS station.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Chris Berman, Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman ( before he got really weird ) . Were the crew

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

olberman is insane now :D

@perkdog said:
    Chris Berman, Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman ( before he got really weird ) . Were the crew

They were ESPN. And ya Keith has had some problems to put it mildly. 😉

W.C.Fields

@perkdog said:

I agree. Right in the middle of the 90s.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to LOVE baseball tonight.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

berman is an idiot too

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same with Comedy Central, MTV and The Weather Channel.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.