Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

2020 US banknotes?

While thumbing thru a stack of banknotes, searching for goodies, I wondered if the Bureau of engraving has printed any 2020 notes so far. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 12:27PM

The BEP does not print dated notes every year.

When there is a new Secretary of the Treasury and Treasurer (new signatures) the series date changes. If one of the two people changes then a letter (starting with A) is added under the date.

If both names change from those originally on the notes of that series, then the year changes.

There was an exception to this rule, I believe, once or twice during the major banknote redesigns of the 1990s and early 2000s, when the date changed due to the currency redesign.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK thanks for that, I wasn't thinking about the appointed position of the Treasurer and the accompanying note signature. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52