Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

$20 note missing ink

Hello,
I spend my time in the coin forum but came across this $20 note missing some ink. It looks like a high grade too. So my question is. Does this have any value above the $20 face and if so would it be worth it to send it for grading? Thanks for any insight.

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Yes,the note has a value over face.With errors, getting them graded is often more for authentication than for grade.There are many fakes and so grading ,if selling is your goal,is the way to go.If graded, best guess to value would be $125-$150 give or take (depending somewhat on the numerical grade).Keep in mind that grading costs w/shipping both ways can be $50+

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting, I enjoy the forensics in determining if the bill is an authentic error. I’m sort of an experienced novice in this regards. From what I can determine from the picture it may have been messed with. Seeing the bill in had or better close up picture would render a better determination. The area in the upper left corner of the face side look like an eraser or fluid may have permeated the area.Curious to see what an experienced error person would say. If I’m wrong, I would put the value at 125$-200$ graded.

• VetterVetter Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys. It came in this holder. Looks like something you would buy off those late night coins shows on TV.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

This is a classic board break error and is well known among error collectors. It is a real error note, however it is also fairly common as far as errors go (think U37/U47 ; not quite that many but a number of them). I have come across this 1977 series $20 FRN GB block board break error maybe a dozen times over the years. Most all of them are high grade and came from a pack long ago. HA last sold one for $54 in 2016. So unfortunately some of the estimates you have been receiving are a little on the high side.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I learned something this morning. CU is the best. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!