Home Q & A Forum
Options

How does one place a valve on a details crossover?

HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 1879-O $10 NCS details AU. It’s not a cheap coin even in a details grade but I don’t want to pay the % for a straight graded one.

Best Answer

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

It is a good question with no clear answer. One way to look at it is from the registry perspective, a problem coin gets credited as an N1, and adds very little weight, less than a very low grade but problem-free coin. I am not aware of publications valuing problem coins because interest in a particular coin is oftentimes widely unpredictable, and what someone is willing to pay may bear no easy correlation to a problem free coin. As much as you may like your coin, the marketplace will likely significantly discount the coin’s value. You might look to see if any of the major auctioneers might have some good comparable problem coins in their archives.

I brake for ear bars.

Answers

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

We'd like to see images of the obv and rev of your coin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Not sure why what the coin looks like has to do with valve of a details coins but I’m here to learn so here you go. And thanks in advance for your help.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like you are wanting to purchase that coin or one of the same date and mint mark.

I would strongly suggest not spending that kind of money for a problem coin. ;)

If you insist on the purchase I would cut the AU price in half and then maybe make an adjustment +/- for eye appeal or lack thereof. I would also do some research on sold listings from auction houses and make adjustments accordingly.

Please do not take this as advise.
    It's just another stupid opinion you would get on the internet. ;)

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    It sounds like you are wanting to purchase that coin or one of the same date and mint mark.

I would strongly suggest not spending that kind of money for a problem coin. ;)

If you insist on the purchase I would cut the AU price in half and then maybe make an adjustment +/- for eye appeal or lack thereof. I would also do some research on sold listings from auction houses and make adjustments accordingly.

Please do not take this as advise.
    It's just another stupid opinion you would get on the internet. ;)

I VERY much appreciate your opinion as I’m clueless here. But, I purchased this coin 7-8 years ago just so I could complete my 25 coin business strike 1879 set. At that time I thought it would be the only “type” of that coin I’d be able to afford. Things change and I’ve since bought 1879-O $20 double eagle. Hands down the ugliest coin I own and in the bottom three lowest graded; still mid five figures. I just do not want to go out and purchase another $10 when I like the look of the one I own regardless of the details. Bottom line I don’t think I should have to pay our host retail / FMV for an AU since it’s details.
    Thank you for the info, much appreciated
    ANA #6879

• Options

@HashTag "I just do not want to go out and purchase another $10 when I like the look of the one I own"

Enjoy your coin <3

Who cares what plastic it is in or what it says. ;)

• Options

Thank you, I have and I will. I normally do not care about plastic..hypocrite here but I love my digital album and want to include it regardless of “grade”. I’m now working on the proofs of 1879 and just don’t feel right not having finished the business strikes. Yes, I’m anal...can I say that here? Guess we’ll see. LOL

• Options

"I love my digital album and want to include it regardless of “grade”.

Take a photo of the coin then Photoshop it into a PCGS holder. :D

• Options

While you are at it, bump it a grade or 2. ;)

• Options

Just my 2 cents, once NGC started details grade NCS went bye bye. You could send to NGC and just reholder it to NGC for a few bucks.

• Options

I just looked it up. That coin is worth good money