Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Question for you currency guys....

I purchased this lot about 3-4 years ago. This envelope was lost in a move and I just found it again this morning.

I picked this up because I thought it was pretty cool. The only thing I know for sure is the paper shillings are dated 1775-1776 and are all hand signed in iron ink. Beyond that, I know nothing.

The confederate notes, with the exception of the $100 are in moderately poor shape. They’re thin like tissue paper. The $100 is fairly clean.

Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020 2:25PM

The 10 cent female portrait & the 50 cent are 4th issue Fractional’s 1869- 1874. The other 10 cent is a 5th issue 1874 - 1876.
    To me maybe $40 each on the 10 cent female portrait & 50 cent. $20 on the other 10 cent. _Values just my opinion _ 😀
    There is a few variations on all three but none that much more valuable then the other.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool lot.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 10 shilling Connecticut note from June 7, 1776 is rare and no price is given by Friedberg. The other two Connecticut notes are probably in the $300 range each, perhaps a little more for the 1773 note which is rare above VF.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• BestestDadBestestDad Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

The 5 cent Fractional looks pretty nice too. If it doesn’t have the ABCo monogram on the reverse it is one of the more rare of the 5 cent. Could be worth $100+

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say you have there a pretty good gathering of notes. The Colonials look particularly interesting and a check of EBay should give you a general ideal of their value. Very nice collection for sure. Thanks for sharing.