Home Q & A Forum

What year is this Merc dime and how do I best submit it to PCGS?

I waslooking at this coin but the date wasn't exactly clear. I want to submit it to PCGS fir grading. To answer how to submit it, we first need to know what year coin am I looking at here.

I also tried to attach a .GIF file of the coin in question.
Thanks in advance for any help, time or consideration etc -J

www.geocities.com/joemoris My Ebay and some personal goodies

Comments

• Additional

pics

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

At 3:00 am you might think you found a 42/1 :D

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

• joemorisjoemoris Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 2:33PM

Surprise, it's a 42/1 D
    Fully perfect die match. The 1 is hidden in the 2 on the Denver variety of this overdate.
    Image taken from www / pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1942-1-d-10c-fb/5041
    I saw the die and couldnt read the date on the ebay ad, but I knew exactly which coin I was looking at. I've bought Thousands of 1942 D Mercury dimes over the last 17 years, and it is the only coin I ever studied/collect, just 42 merc dimes and thats it. I have been looking for something like this for a lonnng time...

• joemorisjoemoris Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 4:47PM

• Here are 4 of the over a dozen PCGS Certified 1942/1 Denver dimes that this Obverse is an exact match to... 1942/ D

You would need to be able to see the area in red, if it was a later die stage and the overdate is no longer visible you are going to have a hard time.

• @ifthevamzarockin said:
    ^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

At 3:00 am you might think you found a 42/1 :D

It was 4:45 when I did find a 42/1 D, MS 66 FB. Now how do I resubmit it to them for proper attribution? Reholder, regrade, send in the die matches and or expert analysis of dies used or ....?

Best of luck, please post your grading results. :)

• @ifthevamzarockin said:
    Best of luck, please post your grading results. :)

I surely wil, but what submission type? Reholder, regrade or ??? TIA -J
    *really donrt know what to send it for "Service Type"

edited September 8, 2020 1:34PM

Joe,

I understand and appreciate the efforts and thought you have put in your coin. :)
    I am willing to put a little extra effort to try to help you.
    My understanding is that Red Book varieties are done at the normal grading level. (Someone will correct me)
    In other words if I send a 55/55 cent in and do not note on the submission form that it is anything other than a normal 1955 cent it will come back graded as a 55/55 DDO. Every 1955 cent is checked for the DDO, likewise for the 1942/1. I understand you feel you have a different die stage for the 42/1D. I know it doesn't make much sense but a late die stage of an overdate where the overdate no longer shows would have very little collector value but may be useful for a die study. Better photos of your coin would be needed but it looks like the designers initials on your coin do not match up with the D overdate, I don't think you have a late die stage overdate. Many things you see on coins like die cracks can repeat on other coins. If you are able to post clearer photos and ones that the color balance isn't purple, I or other members here may be able to help you understand why your coin is not what you think it is. If you are not happy with this answer I would suggest you call PCGS customer service and explain that you feel you have a new die stage of the 42/1D and ask them the best way to proceed.

ITVR :)

Edited to add:
    Reholder would not work, you would just get it back in a new holder. :/
    Regrade and mark for a variety review would work. :)
    You might be able to send it for variety review only and save the grading cost. ;)

Over the years I have seen several 42 D's that have die erosion & polishing that you could make a strong argument that is was a late die stage overdate......in the end none hold water.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2020 2:05PM

>

Edited to add:
    Reholder would not work, you would just get it back in a new holder. :/
    Regrade and mark for a variety review would work. :)
    You might be able to send it for variety review only and save the grading cost. ;)

Just a note: You can do a reholder with variety attribution. I've done this with a VAM1H peace dollar before.
    I don't think we will hear the results from the OP at this point.

Collector, occasional seller

Here is one that may be similar to the OP's coin if they ever come back.
    This is die erosion.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Too bad we haven't heard the results. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52