Home U.S. Coin Forum

Die polish lines on Morgans - Good or Bad?

I am looking at a very nice Morgan dollar on approval. Great strike, a few very minor marks. At first glance, under a 2X magnifier, there appears to be some fine scratches, especially on the reverse. However, under closer magnification, it is revealed that these lines are raised from the surface, indicating to me that the coin was struck from nearly new, or repolished dies. The strike is so crisp that I think that the dies must have been nearly new. What do the experts think about the appearance of die polish lines on a coin. At first I found them unsettling, but when I figured out what they were, it doesn't bother me, at least that much. Are die polish lines common on Morgans? They are nearly invisible without magnificaton, and not really bothersome with it. I suppose it is a personal taste sort of thing. Like luster versus strike. Just thought I would get a few knowledgeable opinions from the "oldtimers". Thanks, Mark

P.S. The coin is in a PCGS MS67 holder. Nice luster, great strike. very good eye appeal, IMO.
National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    DH said that die polish lines are neutral, but I have read that excessive die polish lines will set a cap to the coin's grade because of eye appeal issues. One guy I sold a coin to complained that the coin was all scratched up, but it was die polish. Clear under 16x mag that the lines were raised.

Die polish is on every coin to different levels. Depends on date/mint as to how visible it is on morgans. Some have much more than others.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info nwcs. There is not an overwhelming number of lines. I am leaning towards keeping the coin at this point. It looks original, with just a hint of haze when turned in the light. But I would expect that on an uncleaned coin. mdwoods

• I kinda like die polish lines on Morgans...as long as not TOO excessive. Gives the coin a little "character"
    I kinda like die polish lines on Morgans...as long as not TOO excessive. Gives the coin a little "character"

You mean like the "characters" on this Forum?image
    It is an exceptionally clean coin for a big silver coin. mdwoods

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i guess it depends on the look of the coin and the date and mintmark and grade all are factored in

i would need to see the coin in person to know for sure

for example

i suppose if the coin is a rare date like a 94 s morgan in a 65 holder and the die polish lines are on the reverse and they are much less than normally seen and the coin has excpetional eye appeal thern it would not matter to me

but being in a 67 holder it would need to have many other monster extraordinary attributes to be in a 67 holder with these noticeable die polishing lines and again this coin needs to be sight seen to give you a real opinion on the coin

sincerely michael
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    As mentioned, it depends on where they are and how prominent they are. I find I like seeing them most times as they indicate personal intervention to keep a die "up to snuff". Sometimes those polish lines are evidence of a design alteration. Many times die polish lines are used as diagnostice for attribution and/or authentication. What year is the coin anyway?
    Gilbert
  • Md, I have a 1921 Pilgrim with the exact lines!! I first thought as did members of this forum that it had been cleaned, but the lines are above the surface. I'm going to send it into PCGS for grading. Good luck with yours.

Ogden
    The coin is a 1903 O. PCGS MS67. I'll try to put up a picture tonight. mdwoods

• Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I've seen DMPLs that if you turned and rotated them you would see slight fine polish lines radiating around just like the cartwheel effect of the luster if you looked really close. By the time the die wears down to Mint State from Prooflike all the polish lines are gone too so yours must be Prooflike or DM?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    die polish is indicative of a new die, so i seek them out , personally. have a 1884-cc morgan that would easily slab ms-66+, & it has die polish like you wouldn't believe. 1st glance, it looks like it's been scrubbed with a brillo pad, but definitely die polish.

btw, several of the classic commem's are notorious for heavy die polish. missouri, some years of the boone's, pilgrim, spanish trail come to mind. easy to mistake for cleaning.

K s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file