Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Possible Value on history note

Hello, I recently discovered this note and am trying to see what it could go for. For most, it’s read as April 4th,1776 but I know that this isn’t the universal format for everyone. I have someone offering me $30 but since some people write dates differently, I’m not sure if that’s a good offer or not considering some would read that as July 4th, 1776. I’m quite new to this and this would be my first sell and I want to be smart about this! Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2020 3:28PM

Welcome to the forum @CassidyRae23.
    To me, it reads April 7th 1776. If someone offered me $30 for this note, I would sell it.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, $30 seems like a fair price.

It's worth a premium but not to everyone and not a large one.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get the $ 30 .

• Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

April 7th to me too ……

• Thank you everyone, I figured this would be the response but I just wanted to double check before I made any moves.

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

April 7th on this side of the pond, July 4th on the other.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since it is a US note I'd read it it the US format.

Great find. Take the $30 and run.

50%/$10 profit for having a sharp eye and good salesmanship skills. B)

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! ... Now I'd take the money and run.

• berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Those that read it as 4 July 1776 don't want to be reminded of that date.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JesseKraft said:
    April 7th on this side of the pond, July 4th on the other.

... or in the military.

Value is speculative.

All glory is fleeting.
  • bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I'm confused. The note pictured is a $20 Federal Reserve Note Series 2017 (at least it looks like 2017, as it is really small type). The only place I see the numbers 04071776 is in the serial number, how could this be dated 1776 when the note says Series 2017. So you all mean since the serial number reads 04/07/1776 that's what gives it any value? To me, it doesn't give it hardly any value over $20.