Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

New to Currency - Could Use Some Help on My Grandfather's Items

This is my first time in the coins/currency forums, I'm usually in sports cards. My grandfathers coin/currency collection was left to us and I am not very familiar with currency. He has a couple of bills that I wasn't sure of the value. I tried checking ebay with no luck. He has a ten dollar bill from 1981 and the serial number is 00000003 and a twenty from 1974 with part of the back of the bill printed on the front, with a partially unprinted part on the back. Any idea on value?

He has some other cool items like $1 silver certificates and confederate $10, Serial numbers that read the same front and back, etc. It's been fun going through it.

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Retail is roughly $500 for the pair.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool error note and low serial numbered note. Buy some quality currency sleeves to protect the collection. I agree with @Tookybandit on approximate value.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, both good ones.

Looks like the serial #3 was hand cut from a sheet.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Thanks for the information

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool notes!

• Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

That error is really cool 👍

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking you could get more than $500 for the pair. The low serial alone would command more than that.....maybe 750-1000$,especially if in a holder. Maybe 200$ on the gutter fold, holder would help. Appearance from photo looks like some handling.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

First, get them authenticated and graded - I suggest PMG as they are the largest and most accepted grading company.

I also agree that the #3 note seems very, very conservatively priced at $500.
    Then again, these are niche areas of collecting and you really need to find the right buyer to score

Fred Bart is the most informed person on errors that I know, perhaps slide this by him?

• I found some more nice items. A $20 Hawaii bill, some 1920s $1 silver certificates, $10 confederate money, A $1 and $10 bill that has the serial number reading the same forwards and backwards, and a $1 bill with a mismatched Serial Number.

However, I found a couple more bills that I wasn't sure about. Any help would be appreciated.

This first one said error on the holder, but I don't know what the error is.

This $5 was also separated. Anything special about this one?

This $10

Then this may be a really stupid question, but he has a lot of bills that are damaged, maybe burned... is it just simply money that was damaged? Sorry for the stupid question.

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1977A Ace is a partial Face-to-Back offset error.

• bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Could all of the scans be horizontal as the notes are printed???? I have a stiff neck and can't turn it enough to read the vertical notes. Can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. Thanks for your consideration.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice stuff and some more routine stuff.

In currency collecting condition is critical, so be careful how you handle the and get them into some Mylar sleeves.