Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Finally...FINALLY my grades popped

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mailed in 113 in early December, just got my grades. Over 6 calendar months, but with the virus and being shutdown, I can't complain. It's kinda like stepping into the roller coaster...once the bar goes down and it starts to move, you're in for the ride.

Very pleased with the results. 90% of my sub came back in PSA 8 or higher, and 50% came back as 9s or 10s. They all belong in the set I'm collecting, so even though I caught a few lower grades, they all fit.

PSA 10 - 20
PSA 9 - 42
PSA 8.5 - 1
PSA 8 - 27
PSA 7.5 - 1
PSA 7 - 13
PSA 7 - 6
PSA 5 - 1
PSA 4 - 2

Hope all your subs pop soon too!! A nice feeling to get that email !!!!

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you! What set are you collecting?

I see you got a half grade. One card out of 113.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

David Ortiz Master Topps set.

The set is currently at 219 needed...it will soon go up substantially with the inclusion of the cards I'll get next week from PSA. I'm 18 cards short at this point. I'm sure there are a few in the current composition that will take a while to find. There's plenty of raw out there to ponder. Actually, I got 2 half grades, an 8.5 and a 7.5. Wasn't too thrilled about the 2, 4s, but, they fill a hole...I'll try to upgrade as I can. I just sent in 100 more, so, I guess around Thanksgiving they'll pop.

A link to my digital set, which I'll update when I get the box from PSA. Towards the end you'll see a lot of variations.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/album/316060

Assuming you are "Teddy Ballgame"?

Can't see your set. I sure would like to.

Ortiz was a guy I like when he was with the Twins. Hated to see them let him go.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited July 2, 2020 5:46PM

@JoeBanzai said:
    Assuming you are "Teddy Ballgame"?

Can't see your set. I sure would like to.

Ortiz was a guy I like when he was with the Twins. Hated to see them let him go.

Teddy Ballgame I am...and, I just lit up my set...BUT, wait till Friday afternoon or so, I literally just got a box of 113 graded cards back from PSA a couple of hours ago. To really see the cards, click on the little blue book icon next to my name, which will allow you to see my digital set. I'll be adding 113 cards tomorrow, but gotta scan them in...maybe done by afternoon.
    I have another 100 in PSA, but won't see them until Sept/October time...I'll try to remember to let you know when I've got those added to my digital set. You will see lots of variations and cards that are the only ones graded by PSA.

On second thought, after you go to the David Ortiz Master Topps link, click it, then click the camera icon next to my name and it will show the cards in image gallery format. Then click the blue under the card name, which will enlarge the card pic to better enjoy the view.

Tomorrow...enjoy!!
    Al - Teddy Ballgame

Wow! Great set.

It's good to be #1 ;-) looks like you don't have much competition.

I hope to improve my set with some submissions I'll be sending in next week.

@JoeBanzai said:
    Wow! Great set.

It's good to be #1 ;-) looks like you don't have much competition.

I hope to improve my set with some submissions I'll be sending in next week.

Tks. Are you collecting Ortiz? Or, who are you collecting? My sub took just over 6 calendar months, from early December to this past Friday evening.

Not sure which one you viewed...if you clicked "David Ortiz Master Topps Set", then "Teddy Ballgame" you only saw thumbnail pics. If so, I suggest you click "David Ortiz Master Topps Set", then click the camera icon next to "Teddy Ballgame", this way you get to see the Gallery version of cards in a larger format. I also updated my digital set, just find the "book" icon and it'll take you there. You probably know this, but just in case.

I also found that when scanning in the cards in landscape format it really expands the card when the card is clicked. I did this with several towards the end, like the Mantle/Ortiz and Robinson/Ortiz...the pic fills the whole screen.

I saw the gallery version, but could not get the pictures to expand. I just got the little circle going around forever. Still got to see a wonderful group of cards.

I collect Harmon Killebrew.

https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/harmon-killebrew-master-set/alltimeset/11130

I have added many unusual items over the last few years and had a nice run in first place until PSA stopped recognizing some of my variations and the #2 guy came up with a bunch of 10's.

I would never trade him straight up for his set!

Hoping to surprise him next year ;-)

edited July 7, 2020 7:46AM

This is a link to the Ortiz Gallery cards. Once opened, try clicking on the small horizonatal cards...when I do it, the card then fills the screen, like a jumbo card. Hope this works...LMK. I may go back and rescan the horizontal cards that are scanned in portrait format...kinda hard to really appreciate them that way.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/david-ortiz-master-topps-set/imagegallery/316060

You really have an incredible Killebrew collection! GL getting the ones you need for 100%. The Venezuelans are almost impossible to get, as I experienced with my Bill Lee and Luis Tiant Master sets.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luis Ortiz?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@MCMLVTopps said:
    This is a link to the Ortiz Gallery cards. Once opened, try clicking on the small horizonatal cards...when I do it, the card then fills the screen, like a jumbo card. Hope this works...LMK. I may go back and rescan the horizontal cards that are scanned in portrait format...kinda hard to really appreciate them that way.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/david-ortiz-master-topps-set/imagegallery/316060

You really have an incredible Killebrew collection! GL getting the ones you need for 100%. The Venezuelans are almost impossible to get, as I experienced with my Bill Lee and Luis Ortiz Master sets.

Finally got your Gallery cards to open. Yes, when the horizontal cards open they are HUGE!

Thanks for the kind words on my Killebrew set. Speaking of the Venezuelans, I have a couple of 68's ready to send in to PSA. The HR and RBI leader cards. Eye appeal on the new cards much better than what I currently have and grades should be better for sure.

Venezuelans are not too tough if you can accept a PSA 5 as a high grade card. I have been pretty lucky with them.

The "card" I am frustrated with right now is the 1969 Globe Imports with the "checkerboard" back. I have several variations PSA refuses to add to the set and that gets in?

Pictured below is one of the cards they rejected. There are plenty of similar cards in Master sets.

Oh well, I will be making a last ditch effort to regain the #1 spot, but it's probably inevitable I'll end up in second place.

• RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said

The "card" I am frustrated with right now is the 1969 Globe Imports with the "checkerboard" back.

I agree and feel your pain regarding this 1969 Globe checkerboard back ! I've noticed a lot of Player sets
    have not been hammered with this variation yet ! Same thing goes for Topps Mail-In Team checklist cards with
    grey and white backs ! When you have to reach 100% on a Player Set for Award recognition , and you need some rare oddball item like this , it is extremely frustrating ! Another item is the Wiffle Disc ............1978 and 1979 ........some Player sets haven't been hit with this variation yet either !
    Wish Joe would relax the 100% completion quota , ........which used to be 95% ! Even a small break of making it
    98 or 99 % would be a welcome break to Player Set Collectors .........that way your not gouged on price for
    some of these oddball hard to find items ! The Venezuelan cards are a perfect example !
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

Probably must have his (Killebrew's) name or better pic of him on the one above.

Glad the Gallery thing worked...the landscape pics really pop, don't they? Much better than trying to enjoy the card that is made landscape, but scanned portrait. I think some rainy day I'll just fix them all.

edited July 5, 2020 1:37PM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Probably must have his (Killebrew's) name or better pic of him on the one above.

Glad the Gallery thing worked...the landscape pics really pop, don't they? Much better than trying to enjoy the card that is made landscape, but scanned portrait. I think some rainy day I'll just fix them all.

Yes, PSA informed me Killebrew's name not being on there is a problem. Players names are not on Team Cards either.

Killebrew was the only player ever to wear #3 for the Twins, so we know it's him.

Lastly, a buddy of mine found several cards of other players without their names appearing on the front that appear in master sets. That's why they are called "Master" sets!

@Robby said:

Same thing goes for Topps Mail-In Team checklist cards with

grey and white backs ! When you have to reach 100% on a Player Set for Award recognition , and you need some rare oddball item like this , it is extremely frustrating !
    Robbie

A Ha! I will be sending in some white back versions of the send in team checklists. Someone else was able to get them in and I'll take advantage of that!

Here's another item not allowed in my Killebrew Master set. Any thoughts on this one?

@DBesse27 said:
    Luis Ortiz?

Tks for catching that...obviously I meant Luis Tiant. I had just found two Luis Ortiz cards in the David Ortiz Master Set, which I dabble in. PSA has since deleted both Luis Ortiz cards from that set. I am however collecting the David Ortiz Master Topps set.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2020 8:13AM

If a player is featured on a team set card, it will be allowed. Cards which may picture a player but make no mention of said player on the card are not allowed.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/setrequests

ETA: This one's not allowed in the Larkin Master even though it's obviously him in the upper left ...

But there's no mention of him on the back.

@LarkinCollector said:
    If a player is featured on a team set card, it will be allowed. Cards which may picture a player but make no mention of said player on the card are not allowed.

ETA: This one's not allowed in the Larkin Master even though it's obviously him in the upper left ...

Nice looking card. You can see his number, so it should/could be in the set.

Would love to see this card in the Killebrew Master set;

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Nice looking card. You can see his number, so it should/could be in the set.

Would love to see this card in the Killebrew Master set;

I like and collect cameo cards also, but have no expectation that they would be added to the Larkin Master since they don't meet the rules PSA has set forth ...

edited July 7, 2020 8:26PM

Rules?

I am not positive, but I think they have a card picturing the back of Mike Tyson's head in his master set.

Rules.

Love the Sandberg card!

Pictured and named, that's the rules. There's no rule it has to be a great picture. This one, like the Tyson mentioned, similarly qualified for the Seve Master set ...

Here's one I had to argue that Larkin was pictured and named after it was initially denied ...

Row 2, Column 4 shows a very tiny version of this one ...

And he's #11 (appropriately) in the super tiny print on the back ...

Is it a great Larkin card? No, but it qualifies.

I collect plenty that don't meet the rules, I'll get them all added to a showcase/digital album someday and have no expectation of them being added to the Master sets.

That Ryno's a favorite of mine also, gotta love a dual HOFer card, even if it's not recognized officially as such.

• Here is a favorite Walter Payton incidental that doesn't count.

I felt your pain a couple of years ago when they suddenly removed all the Fleer Team Action cards from many Master Sets. About 20 (!) item fell out the Walter Payton Master Set, some of which I spent a premium to obtain or bought many unopened boxes and submitted after hours of work. I argued that they were shooting themselves in the foot with many possible submissions that were no longer going to occur, but no no avail.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BearCollector said:

Here is a favorite Walter Payton incidental that doesn't count.

I felt your pain a couple of years ago when they suddenly removed all the Fleer Team Action cards from many Master Sets. About 20 (!) item fell out the Walter Payton Master Set, some of which I spent a premium to obtain or bought many unopened boxes and submitted after hours of work. I argued that they were shooting themselves in the foot with many possible submissions that were no longer going to occur, but no no avail.

Yeah, I lost 5 items from my John Hannah master set that way.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox