Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I have a dot .

Hello everyone :)

I'm relatively new to the grading process and brand new to the forums (this is my first post!) :) I have a card (in this case, a Pokemon card) that looks like it would grade at an 8 or possibly 9.......if only not for a small red ink dot on the card, 1mm in diameter. See left side of card here:

So, I have some questions-

1. Is a dot of this size enough to get slapped with the MK qualifier?

2. Is removing a dot like that, if possible, against PSA grading 'rules'? So far I've tried only light pressure, a drop of water, with a microfiber cloth.

3. If an 8 sells for 300-400 and a 9 could go for up to 800-900, what do you think an 8 or 9 with an MK designation would do to the value? I am looking to weigh the risk of attempting to remove it versus leaving it and grading (if that's even an option or possible)

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. Really I'm just looking to see what you all would do to maximize profit in this spot.

Comments

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

what is the dot? is it ink> is it raised?

• thundersonicthundersonic Posts: 4
    edited October 9, 2020 6:57PM

@OAKESY25 said:
    what is the dot? is it ink> is it raised?

It appears to just be ink. Lets call it a dot from a marker.

• That’s a common “error” card that Pokémon collectors seek out. The Blastoise ‘red-dot’ error. There have been cases of PSA 10 with the red dot.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2020 9:22PM

@Mitchandrsn said:
    That’s a common “error” card that Pokémon collectors seek out. The Blastoise ‘red-dot’ error. There have been cases of PSA 10 with the red dot.

don't know much on pokemon but if this is true, do NOT touch. send it off. collectors love variations.

• I'm freaking out :o

• This is AMAZING!!!

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I'd send it in as is... it doesn't seem to take away from the overall appearance to me.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

Corners look too rounded for a 10.

• @detroitfan2 said:
    Corners look too rounded for a 10.

Pokémon card corners are rounded

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

You should definitely send it off to be graded. There is a PSA 9 of the same error card currently listed at $2,000. Your card definitely looks like it might have a chance at a 9

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

How does the back look? Any chipping on the blue borders?

If so, they will drop the grade quite a bit. If no chipping, looks to be in great shape for a high grade. Good luck!

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Here is an example of my son's 2006 Gold Star Charizard:

Front of his cards was pretty clean. Small black dot near top right and a small imperfection on the top left. But the back knocked it down to mid grade.

They can be very tough on these type cards is my overall point. Yours is very worthy of submitting for sure. Again, good luck.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2020 12:40AM

here ya go. this popped up in my instagram feed and obviously thought of this thread. apparently dots are a great thing and represent a "rarity" factor. if you're on there, follow and message the guy in the pic. congrats and thanks for the thread and teaching me something new. i'm not into pokémon but always enjoy learning about anything-cards in general.

• Thanks for the info guys, this is exactly why I love this forum.

Previous CU user: jmmiller777
    Baseball HOFer's-PSA6+
    Heritage Sets
    Kellogg's Graded-PSA 8+
    60's Topps Sets-Raw
    Anything that Catches My Attention

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Super nice find for you! I guess the alternative card companies are on to the game too.